29 gallon stocking? Lots of movement and color

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by NikkiHill0509, Jun 28, 2016.

1. N

NikkiHill0509 Valued Member Member

Hello! I'm starting to get back into tropicals. I had a bunch of smaller tanks (5 and 10 gallons) when I was in high school. Moved away to college and could only take one with me, so I chose my saltwater tank. Kept saltwater for 3 years. It crashed while I was on my honeymoon. We didn't have the funds or time to redo my saltwater system, so I scrapped it and got goldfish. I currently have 2 goldfish in a 29 gallon with an aqua clear 70 filter. They're getting big so I'm going to put them in the pond with the other big fish (Catfish, brim, and goldfish) this summer. That will leave my 29 gallon empty and begging for fish. The biggest tropical tank I've ever had is a 10 gallon, which is fairly limited in what you can keep. Now that I'm up to 29 gallons, I have no idea what to stock it with!

I really want one or two large centerpiece fish with as many smaller schooling fish as possible. Lots of color and lots of movement is the general idea. The tank is in our kitchen so we're in there a lot. And my little sister loves to come over and stare at my fish. I love my goldfish, but they're kinda skittish when there's too much movement in the house.

I'm still kind of new at the tropical fish (it's been 5+ years) so I need relatively easy fish. I don't want to deal with changing pH or special diets or anything.

Also, do I have to recycle it or anything once I move my goldfish to the pond, or can I move them and add the new fish the same day?

2. scottishduck

scottishduck Valued Member Member

I have a 29 gallon community with harlequin rasboras, glofish tetras, corydoras habrosus and an assortment of invertebrates. It is extremely active and colorful.

I would say the thing that (surprisingly) adds the most movement to my tank is not the fish, but the colony of red cherry shrimp I have in there. I started with 12. They breed like crazy. I gave 8 away. I counted 15 full grown shrimp yesterday and many more small shrimplets. Having an assortment of live plants certainly helps as well and they will swim in all water levels to get to the plants. I also have one shrimp that thinks he's a fish. No joke. He swims throughout the water column constantly and I've even seen him brave feeding time with the rasboras to grab some flake food and eat it mid swim.

Long story short, the shrimp in my tank are extremely active and colorful and I couldn't be happier with them.

3. Airth

Airth Valued Member Member

For centerpiece fish you could go with sunset thicklip gourami. They're a pretty golden yellow color and seem to be one of the more peaceful varieties of Gourami.

Another option is a pair of dwarf cichlid or a single angelfish. Those are a little more advanced in care but still very much manageable.

A school of cherry barbs are pretty as well. They're not nippy like tiger barbs are. The males are a bright red and the females are a golden brown color. Both are lovely.

As for you cycle; if you add fish the same day that you move your goldfish, I don't see why the cycle would need to be restarted. I think you'd be perfectly fine. =)

4. OP
    OP
    N

Thanks! I'm going to make a trip to the LFS just to see what they've got. The goldfish will move in mid July, so I have a little time.

I love Angels, so maybe I'll get one of them for the centerpiece. I was going to add neons, but I think angels eat neons. School of cherry barbs, 6 of them? And maybe another school of tetras, 6 as well?What about the bottom level? Things like loaches or corys. How many should I get?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2016
  5. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

If you get an angelfish keep in mind when chosing tankmates that it likes things on the warm side, around 80F.
    So even if they weren't potential snacks, neons would be out. Glowlight tetras, lemon tetras, cherry barbs (go 1:1 or 1:2 male to female, ) black neons might work etc. For the bottom you could go with a herd of kuhli loaches or warm water cories. All of them should be groups of at least six.

6. OP
    OP
    N

LFS suggests a dwarf cichlids tank. He said 2 each of Rams, Kribs, Brichardi, and Acara. That's a lot of cichlids for a pretty open tank. I've not got a lot of plants or hiding places to break up territories. What do you think?

7. F

Florian Pellet Well Known Member Member

:) awesome!

8. OP
    OP
    N

Did some more research on the dwarf cichlids. I think they're too aggressive for me to deal with right now. I want a low maintenance tank. I'm set on an angel, now just have to figure out the rest of the stock.

Option 1:
    1 angel
    6 cherry barbs
    6 rummy nose tetras
    6 khuli loaches or corys

Option 2:
    1 angel
    8 cherry barbs OR rummy nose tetras
    6 khuli loaches or corys

Option 3:
    1 angel
    8 cherry barbs
    8 rummy nose tetras

9. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

@bizaliz keeps & breeds angels so she may be able to help.

Welcome to the forum!

When planning out stocking I found it very useful to See the fish in store. Some I was going to get, but then scrapped them from my plan because I didn't like them enough in person. Alternatively I added some to my plan that I liked in the store which I had not originally considered. What fun! Good luck!

10. scottishduck

scottishduck Valued Member Member

You might be able to do something like your Option 2:

1 angel
    8 corydoras aeneus (mix of bronze and albino will school together)
    10 rummynose tetras
    3 tiger nerite snails

I have no idea if those are all temperature compatible though. Personally, I'd rather have 1 schooling fish in a larger school than two schools (like your option 1).

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  11. OP
    OP
    N

The LFS has 7 different corys: Julii, Peppered, Albino, Green, Panda, Sterbai, and Bandit. Not sure which will be the best fit for temperature. Angels like high 70s, so I want to find warmer water tank mates. No good stressing a Cory out and getting them sick.

8 corys and 10 rummy nose isn't too crowded? All the angels at the store are about the size of a half dollar, so it'll take him a bit to get full size. But I don't want him to be too crowded to grow.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2016
  12. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

Albino, green & sterbai all should do okay with warmer water for angels. FYI , I have green corys and they are super shy, but people report this is not true of albino & the others.

As for the numbers suggested above - the corys should be fine since they stick to the bottom. Start with 5-6 tetras and then decide what you think, what your water parameters are, etc.

13. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

In a 29 gallon you should have enough room for up to 10 cories. If it were me and I was doing an angel in a 29 I would stick with one upper/mid schooling fish and do a large school as opposed to two smaller schools. So your revised option 2 sounds like the best option to me.

14. OP
    OP
    N

Great. Now which should I add first? Or can I add them all at once without overloading my filter? The tank has been cycled and running with my 2 goldfish for over a year. I was thinking I should do the tetras the day I move the goldfish, then the corys, and the angel last. Maybe a week between them each to give the filter a chance to go from 2 fish to 19 fish?

15. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I'd try and split the tetras and the cories into two groups. So maybe 6 tetras 1 week, 4 tetras the next, 5 cories the next, 5 the next, and then the angel.

You can do the nerites at any time.

16. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

In my 30 gal I have one koi angel fish, a school of cherry barbs, a school of harlequin rasboras, 6 striped kuhli loaches, nerite snails, An L144 female lemon BN pleco and one female, blue eyed yellow ancistrus BN pleco.. Alison...:;hi1

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice