29 Gallon Stocking List

1. BettaFishKeeper4302

BettaFishKeeper4302 Well Known Member Member

So i am finally getting my fish tank done. Next week i am doing a fish cycle with tetra safe start. (Don't worry i know what i'm doing) and i am getting 3 guppies (male) to start it. But after the tank is cycled i plan to eventually add all the fish below. Check it out and see if there could possibly be an issue (doubt it)

6x Albino corys
    6x guppies(male) adding 3 after the cycle first.
    6x neon tetras
    1x pleco (one of the smaller breeds like a pitbull most likely)

Possibly more in the future if i have the room!

2. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

That looks good. Glad that someone else is using TSS :D I've had great success with it and haven't ever lost a fish during cycling.

EDIT: Just read up on pitbull plecos a bit more. A few different sources say that they prefer small groups. I would do some more research and consider something like a bristlenose or clown pleco.

3. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

Thats great to here!

4. D

DalmatianMollieLover New Member Member

I’m a little worried about that being over stocking slightly. Following the inch of fish per gallon guideline, you would need about a 35 gallon tank for that stocking.
    6 albino Cory's -16.8 inches
    6 male guppies -6 inches
    6 neon tetras-9 inches
    1 pit bull pleco- 3 inches
    Wich comes to a total of 34.8
    Although it is guideline I would still be careful to not overstock.

5. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

Inch per gallon doesn't work, even as a guideline. The stocking above would be fine.

6. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

Bruh, inch per gallon is a terrible rule. It is not even a rule its a rumor. Don't believe that.

Knew it. Inch per gallon is non existent.

7. alauruin

alauruin Valued Member Member

Pitbulls are amazing little fish, but they do prefer to be in groups.

8. tetraboi

tetraboi Valued Member Member

Your idea looks good to me, good luck!

9. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

Thanks i will check up on that right now.

10. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

Thanks. The scape will make it even better.

11. tetraboi

tetraboi Valued Member Member

Agree, I have a clown pleco that has done very well and survived a lot of ich problems in my tank, I would definitely recommend a clown pleco.

12. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

I would lean towards the BN.

You will not be overstocked if you have adequate filteration and add slowly.

My 29 has 6 cherry barbs, 9 glow light rasporas, 3 guppies, 1 pearl gourami and 8 corys (plus 2 baby corys). I change 40% water weekly.

Most of my tanks are heavier stocked and require 2Xs a week water changes. This is my office tank that I keep it reduced so I only do 1 WC a week.

13. RainBetta

RainBetta Well Known Member Member

I think you have room to bump the neon tetra school up to 8 or 10

14. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

While people often claim that they can force neons and guppies to live together, I always adhere to the basics. Livebearers in hard, alkaline water, tetras in soft, acidic water. I would put those guppies in a 10 gallon next door and add some crushed coral and a bit of salt if necessary.

15. RainBetta

Do you think cardinal tetras would be better for that stocking plan?

16. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Cardinals really want soft, acidic water, too. They don't have such a bad reputation for keeling over the way neons do, but I still wouldn't do it. Also, consider that the guppies will live 1-2 years while the cardinals should live up to 5, and the neons up to 10 (if they're wild caught or Florida-bred and not the usual pathetic specimens from Thailand). I do think the animals' needs should come before the human need for certain color combinations.

Another idea--if you like red and blue, and your water is hard and alkaline--consider blue star Endlers. If you're only doing male livebearers, you won't have to worry about hybridizing.

17. RainBetta

Ooh great idea! I really wish my LFS sold that kind of endler

18. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

I actually havefo
    So this stocking is almost overstocked???