29 Gallon Stocking Ideas...

fishyfriends876

Hello!

So I have a 29 gallon and I have been poking around to see what I should keep in it. I am still not sure what fish to keep in it, but I did decide some requirements for the tank and such:
- Bare Bottom (no substrate)
- Aquaclear 70 filter (may put sponge intake)
- Two 75 gallon sponge filters, or one sponge filter and an airstone, or just 2 airstones
- Bare tank, not much deco, just to display the fish mostly, might do some plants like guppy grass

My ideas were (picking one of them):
- 1-2 fancy goldfish (with large weekly water changes)
- A school of some good schooling fish (not sure which type)
- Or a one or two 3-5 inch fish

I really need suggestions haha. The ideas I had aren't the only ones you may suggest from. Anything is accepted.

So, what should I stock the tank with and with what filters?
(up to one Aquaclear 70 with two 75-gallon sponge filters, sponge filters can be switched out with airstones).

fishyfriends876

jkkgron2 said:
How about 2 fancy goldfish and 8 White Cloud Mountain minnows?
Thanks for the reply.
Wouldn't the 2 fancy goldfish have too much bioload?
Also if that will be fine, what filters should I use? I have an aquaclear 70 and 2 75 gallon sponge filters.

Ghelfaire

I wouldn't do 2 fancy goldfish in a 29. 1 would be fine but they still get huge, like 7"-8"+.

fishyfriends876

Ghelfaire said:
I wouldn't do 2 fancy goldfish in a 29. 1 would be fine but they still get huge, like 7"-8"+.
Hmm, ok. Anything you recommend?

jkkgron2

Ghelfaire said:
Wouldn’t it work with the extra filtration they have? I could be wrong though, I don’t have that much experience with fancy’s.

Ghelfaire

It's hard to say. Bare bottom eliminates pretty much every bottom dwelling fish, they love to dig.
The majority of schooling fish like plants(real or fake)/decorations to hide in/around.
Non schooling fish like livebearers (mollies, platys guppies) need hiding spots for the fry.

Ghelfaire

jkkgron2 said:
Wouldn’t it work with the extra filtration they have? I could be wrong though, I don’t have that much experience with fancy’s.
Again they get huge, it's 30g for 1 fancy and +10g for every additional one minimum.

jkkgron2

Ghelfaire said:
Again they get huge, it's 30g for 1 fancy and +10g for every additional one minimum.
Makes sense. :) I wasn’t sure so thanks for letting me know!

Ghelfaire

If you aren't completely against a bunch of fake silk plants (weighted so you don't need a substrate) then I can reccomend some fish.

fishyfriends876

Ghelfaire said:
If you aren't completely against a bunch of fake silk plants (weighted so you don't need a substrate) then I can reccomend some fish.
I'm fine with silk but as I said on the first post I can do a bunch of guppy grass.

Ghelfaire

I highly reccomend mollies (again if you like livebearers). They have a good personality compared to some of the smaller fish, they get around 3" (females larger than males) and while they eat at the top of the tank they will scavenge for food at the bottom (no need for bottom dwellers).

If not

Tetras are great fish. I personally have cardinals and black neons. Neither get more than 2" so you can keep more of them.
I like the looks of black phantom tetras but have never kept them.

If you wanted to go coldwater
1 fancy goldfish would be ok
Rainbow shiners are really pretty if you can find them.
Of course white cloud minnows are always an option.
Paradise fish are gorgeous.

Top Bottom