29 Gallon Stocking Ideas

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Tpane27, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Tpane27

Tpane27Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +22
    Experience:
    2 years
    my 29 gallon is stocked with: 1 gourami, 6 glofish tetras, 2 Cory catfish, 3 peppered catfish, and 2 African dwarf frogs. The frogs have been doing well despite some unpopular opinions. I’ve been looking into some loaches. I read they school so would getting enough to school be too much for this tank? Thoughts please!

2. Noroomforshoe

NoroomforshoeValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +140
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I think that the bottom of your tank is already too full to add loaches, you would want 10 or more kuhlie loaches and it seems like too many with the frogs and cories.
    Other smaller loaches like the ones I have yoyos, zebra, polka dots. They are extremely active food hogs, the frogs would be easilly starved to death.

How about more cories? Im assuming "peppered catfish are peppered cories, and then you have to other cories. so how about getting those guys into minimum schools of 6 each, you will see them become much more active and fun to watch.

You could get 1-4 more frogs, they are very social, and please keep an eye on them, make sure they aere getting their fair share of food, and getting to the top of the tank with ease.

then you could add somthing top/ middle dwelling. Maybe a 3-6 american flag Killi fish,
    or platies

3. OP
    OP
    Tpane27

Ratings:
    +22
    Experience:
    2 years
    The Cory catfish are all over the place all the time they’re great to watch haha as for the frogs I read someone uses a ppc pipe and puts their pellets down it to go in front of the frogs so I want to try that.

I’m reading about the killifish and some say they can be a little aggressive. Idk if you have any experience yourself with them but I want to stick to keeping peace in my tank my gourami is a male and can be aggressive if the other fish in the tank will act that way. The only reason I think that is because the person at the pet store and reading some other experiences online. Other than that mine is super peaceful with the community tank he’s in

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2019
  4. Noroomforshoe

Ratings:
    +140
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    yes pvc feeding can work, or I got 3 turky basters from the dollor store, pulled og the plungers, stuck them together.
    keep a plunger near by and you can squirt the food dow to them.
    I used this to hand feed a brown Knife fish, the loaches would still get most of the food. If the frogs dont compete for food, none of the loaches that I mentioned are a good fit.

5. OP
    OP
    Tpane27

Ratings:
    +22
    Experience:
    2 years
    My blue tetra I have once ate a platie, the only fish he/she has ever eaten. The tetra is prettty solid and went after it not sure why but the blue tetra is super good now.

6. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +5,930
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    What type of cory catfish do you have? Both the peppered cories and the other type of cory should be kept in groups of 6+ so I would up those schools before thinking about adding any other fish.

What type of gourami do you have?

7. OP
    OP
    Tpane27

Ratings:
    +22
    Experience:
    2 years
    I’ll get more cories. They five I have school and swim pretty much in sync it’s cool to see. The gourami is a male pearl.

8. OP
    OP
    Tpane27

Ratings:
    +22
    Experience:
    2 years
    The cories I have are these in the pics. Two of the spotted ones and three of the other.

9. OP
    OP
    Tpane27

Ratings:
    +22
    Experience:
    2 years
    I ended up getting 1 Dalmatian Molly and 1 marbled Molly. They are and aren’t schooling fish I guess and will get along with all other fish. They’re both female. So far they are getting along like crazy with all the other fish and all the fish are swimming all over the place like they’re playing. I was reading the Molly Dalmatians need some salt but if your water is hard enough they will be ok.

10. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +5,930
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Pearl gouramis get pretty big and need a larger tank. They also need much warmer water than the peppered cories and skirt tetras.

Pictures haven't shown up for me. One of the most common spotty cories is the false julii cory. You could look them up and see if they look like yours?
    Mollies don't need salt and will be ok if your water is hard. Your other fish would not do well with salt in the tank.

11. OP
    OP
    Tpane27

Ratings:
    +22
    Experience:
    2 years
    Ive heard a few different things about the pearls. When I got him the person at petco said minimum 20 gallon which I had. I later read the minimum was 29 so I got a 29 gallon.

12. Noroomforshoe

Ratings:
    +140
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yes gourami, male or female, but more often male, can be aggressive. and other aggressive fish can set them off.
    so could overstocking the tank, especially with top dwelling fish that are in their territory.
    But he might also be fine indefinitly, ones that I got before reading about there agressive potential were fine.
    But I have never herd of kuhlies being aggressive? I herd of Kuhlies hiding all day, kuhlies not doing well with gravel.
    Yes, I read that american flag killi fish can get aggressive, Im sorry, I must have forgotten, I have 3 of them, they are supper peaceful I read that it is best not to let them go hungry for very long, but I have left them on 2 night vacations and no aggression that i can see, not even to the only fish in the tank smaller then them, young x-ray tetras I just added.

I had a golden wonder killi fish that was really fun, just dont keep then with anithing that can fit in their face.

13. OP
    OP
    Tpane27

Ratings:
    +22
    Experience:
    2 years
    I’m trying to figure out the best way to feed the frogs. I’ve been using a turkey Baser to get the food in front of them. The frog pellets are pretty small and blend in with my gravel but I’ve also tried sinking pellets for bottom feeders that I break in half so it’s easier for them to eat and not choke. Hopefully it’s enough

14. Noroomforshoe

Ratings:
    +140
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Feed them some unthawed frozen blood worms, or thoughlly soaked dried blood worms. It is a important food for them.