29 Gallon Stocking Ideas?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Z123Killer, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Z

Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

My current stocking that I am thinking about getting is:
    10 Cardinal tetras
    10 Sterbai Cories
    6 Guppies
    2 German Blue Rams
    1 Dwarf Gourami

Questions:
    1. Is this stocking fully stocked for a 29 Gallon? If not, what fish/schools can I add?
    2. What is the best temperature to keep this stocking at?
    3. Is it ok if I feed all of the top swimmers flakes and the bottom ones sinking shrimp pellets?

2. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

1- German blue Rams supposedly need 40 gallons to be kept in pairs. I would get the dwarf gourami out, get the guppies out and get 1 ram out. In my opinion you would be overstocked without getting the gourami out, the guppies and 1 ram. After doing what I said I would say that you are well stocked and that any more fish would be kind of pushing it.
    2- I would probably keep it all at 26 Celsius.
    3- It is never good to feed your fish only a certain thing, but yeah, flakes and pellets should be used for the top swimmers and sinking pellets or algae wafers and stuff like that for the bottom dwellers. Try to give them a varied diet and if possible include frozen food and stuff like that. I personally do homemade food for my fish so I would just feed both the ram and the cardinals my homemade food and drop algae wafers and sinking pellets for the fish altough probably the corydoras will get some homemade food too.

Sooo, I would modifiy your stocking like I said and it would look like this:
    10 Cardinal Tetras
    10 Sterbai Cories
    1 German blue Ram.
    The cardinal tetras will give activity to the midlevels of the tank, the corydoras will make your bottom lively and the german blue ram would be your center piece.
    I would also keep the temperature at 26 Celsius.

Maybe some will disagree with me, but as I said, this is just my opinion and what I would do.

3. Zahc

Zahc Well Known Member Member

I think if you wanted, a pair of GBR will be fine. You will get to see more natural behaviour. I agree on dropping the DG off the list though.

Personally, I would not keep GBR's under 80F with 82 being preferred. In warmer waters they colour up better, are less prone to illness and usually more inclined to eat. They are found in very very warm water in the wild, making them good companions for discus.

4. OP
    OP
    Z

Why drop the DG?

5. Zahc

It's not really necessary to drop and it would probably work with the DG, I just personally think a pair of GBR would be enough as a centrepiece, and if your GBR's ever spawned, the chance of any fights/damage are alot less likely with the DG out of the equation.

I myself stock very lightly, so i'm not going to give numbers or throw possible stocking lists at you because I stock tanks alot lighter than majority of fish keepers, and most people don't like their tanks lightly stocked, so i'll leave that to others. I just wanted to point out that GBR's really need water warmer than 26C to thrive.

6. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I would drop the DG as they prefer cooler water
    Having a pair of GBR is fine
    Just feeding flakes and pellets is not a good idea. I feed my fish frozen bloodworms, frozen daphnia, freeze dried tubifex, boiled egg, boiled peas and other vegetables, algae wafers and pellets and flakes.

7. OP
    OP
    Z

Doesn't the DG prefer water between 77 and 82 (according to fishlore) and my water is going to be 79 like other people suggested.

8. Zahc

The DG's breeding temperature would be 80, not the average temperature. GBR's need 80 minimum, the rest of you stocking will be fine at 80, the DG won't, and it will shorten it's lifespan.

Also, fishlore's profiles are old and inaccurate. I like to use Fishbase and Seriously Fish.

9. OP
    OP
    Z

Ok, I understand now. And since I won't get a DG, what fish should I get instead of it?

10. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Im my opinion you should not get any more fish. I think you are already moderately stocked like that.

11. OP
    OP
    Z

I want to have a community 29-gallon tank, what would you recommend as a stocking. BTW I don't like loaches or shrimps, so please don't suggest them.

Thanks.

I have this one in mind, but still taking suggestions:
    10 Cardinal Tetras
    10 Sterbai Cories
    6 Guppies
    2 German Blue Rams

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2017
  12. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

How about something like this:
    1x Apistogramma Cacatuoides
    8-10xNeon Tetras
    6x Corydoras Aenus (Bronze or Albino)

This Stocking has an South American feel and IMO it should be a fun and colorful stocking.

13. Protim Sarkar

Protim Sarkar Well Known Member Member

Good stocking list but have you ordered a big tank ?

14. OP
    OP
    Z

It is a 29 Gallon

15. Protim Sarkar

I will reduce the guppies to 3 males.

16. OP
    OP
    Z

Isn't it better to keep them in groups of 6?

17. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

not with guppies

18. Protim Sarkar

Actually they are not schooling fish.:p

19. OP
    OP
    Z

Oh ok, thanks. :D:D Is there anything that I can add to the stocking?

20. Protim Sarkar

Your stocking is complete. No need to add extra fish. But if you don't mind I will reduce the number of the tetras and cories to 8 each.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice