29 Gallon Stocking Ideas??

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by AllieSten, Apr 6, 2017.

1. AllieSten

AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

Ok so it is finally time for me to start planning my stocking. I have the tank, the stand arrives tomorrow, the big filter is being ordered Monday.

I will be adding these current fish from my 10gallon into the 29 gallon as soon as it is cycled and ready.

5 glo-fish tetras
    1 dwarf gourami.

I am wanting to add a couple more white/black skirts to up their school size, but otherwise I am open to any suggestions. I am also going to be adding some snails, but that is just a side note. Going for some nerites so that I don't have any pests. Still staying with an unplanted tank for now. May change my mind in the future. I will be using sand as my substrate with some driftwood also. Nothing fancy.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  2. ChaoryValued MemberMember

Get some cory cats.

3. OP
    OP
    AllieSten

Corydoras are pretty cool. They like schools of 6. I have an overstocked tank now, so don't want to do that again. I want to add at least 2 or 3 more species of fish if I can to the tank. Not sure that can happen with 2 schools of 6 or more.

4. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylahWell Known MemberMember

I think you could add another small species of schooling fish, as well as some pygmy corydoras as they don't grow very large. Since the corydoras are bottom dwellers there wouldn't be too much "traffic" within the tank.

5. OP
    OP
    AllieSten

Thanks @MaddieTaylah what sort of small schooling fish do you recommend? I am a true novice when it comes to fish. The Pygmy cories look amazing. I put them on my list. Do you think I should do 6? Thank you for your help.

I just saw my second post, that I linked here was "moved" from the beginners board. The whole point was to direct a bit of traffic to this post. Which is why I linked directly to it, instead of repeating myself. Getting tired of trying to find my posts, only to have them moved. Sometimes to a board I have never even seen before. It's not like I was being impatient. I waited over 2 days before I posted again. Smh

6. MaddieTaylah

I would recommend cardinal tetras, as they are small & very pretty. Also,
    6 pygmy corydoras sounds good.

Not sure about what happened to your post.

7. OP
    OP
    AllieSten

What about rummy nose tetras or harlequin rasboras? Would they work? I like the look of the rasboras a lot. My grandpa used to keep cardinal tetras. They were his favorite :)

8. MaddieTaylah

They would both work aswell, I really like the harlequin rasboras too.

9. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

Rummynose won't work because of the temperature incompatibility with the glofish tetra and the pygmy cories.

10. MaddieTaylah

Oops I forgot about that.

11. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsyFishlore VIPMember

You could do a Bolivian ram. I would add him last. They are a little sensitive and need stable water conditions.

The Pygmy cories don't stay at the bottom like the others do, so you would have to count them as a mid dwelling school. Cardinal tetras need warmer water. You could do something like this

1 DG
    6 skirt tetras
    8 harlequin rasboras
    6 corydora (1 species of any of the cooler varieties)
    1 Bolivian ram

I personally would advise only one middle dwelling school in a tank this size though, and up the number of skirts. They can be nippy and may go after your DG if they feel cramped.

12. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

For cories; pandas, peppered, pygmys can work

13. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

I would recommend CPD as your other mid dwelling school

As you said you wanted to add a few different types of fish I would add some more types of non-schooling fish. A platy, guppy, endler, bolivian ram or peacock goby would all work.

Pygmy cories are actually more mid dwelling cories than other types of cory

14. JRS

JRSWell Known MemberMember

I hope this won't divert the intention of the thread - just curious. Looking at several sites I am seeing temps for Rummynose 72-80, Black Skirt/glotetra 75-80 and pygmy cories as 77-82. There is overlap so how would a person know that they are not temperature compatible. I am not doubting in the least, just trying to learn so I don't make any mistakes. (That is more than I have.:)) Is there somewhere one could find a list of optimal temperatures for each fish, not just a range that is acceptable. @AllieSten I can also make a separate thread, but I thought you may be curious too?

15. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

You have to be careful what sites you're looking at. Most aren't reliable. Fishbase, SeriouslyFish, and PlanetCatfish are the ones I use.

In a 29 gal, I think you'd be fine (and not overstocked) to have something like this:

8x Skirt tetra (glo, black, white)
    10x Harlequin rasbora
    1x DG
    1-2x Bolivian rams
    8-10x Cories (one species, I wouldn't do pygmy cories as they swim in the middle level and might not compete well against the skirt tetra; something like bronze, panda, or false julii would be good!)

16. OP
    OP
    AllieSten

Thank you guys so much! These are all excellent ideas. It makes me so excited to get new fish!

My tank right now sits at 77 degrees, so was planning on keeping it around the same for the 29 gallon too.

17. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Could you go a little lower, say 75 F? That would be better for the skirt tetra and some of the other options I listed.

18. JRS

JRSWell Known MemberMember

I look forward to seeing what you end up doing. I have a 29 that I hope to upgrade my son's 20 to soon. Trying to settle out my tank after some issues before making the switch. Have fun!

19. OP
    OP
    AllieSten

Yep I can. That's not hard to do at all. Especially now that spring has actually arrived, I won't have the heater cranked up quite so high. Will be easier to lower the temp in the tank.

I am definitely doing the rasboras and cories. Probably the panda cories, but I really like the bronze & false juliis too. I will have to put that one to a family vote I think lol

I looked at the Bolivian Rams too. They look so aggressive with those pointy fins.

Oh one more question. Do I need to be careful for any sort of male vs female aggression type stuff. Like should I do 2 females to one male with the cories. Or with the rams do I have to worry about gender? I am not looking to breed fish, but I know it is just the facts with keeping fish. I want to prevent any sort of aggression versus preventing babies if that makes any sense.

20. clk89

clk89Fishlore VIPMember

You might be able to do kuhli loaches instead of cory cats too if you want to. I'm pretty much team loach now days. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice