29 Gallon Stocking Advice

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by csatcher, Aug 5, 2015.

1. c

csatcher New Member Member

I recently acquired a 29 gallon high tank. I'm just now setting it up so it will be a few months before I add fish but I'm just looking for ideas and advice right now. I'm planning to have it moderately planted and will be using a Tetra Advance 30-60 filter. I would really like to start out with several juvenile angels in an attempt to get a pair and re-home the others. I've read so much conflicting information that I'd really like advice from people with more experience. Will my tank be big enough for this? If so, is there anything else I can add in with them? I'm really leaning towards a small school of black skirt tetras (not sure about nipping issues) and maybe 5-6 corys. What does anyone think of that stocking list?

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

A 29 gallon high is too small for angelfish. Minimum should be 55 gallons or at the least a 40 Breeder.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    As an alternative, I'd get a pair of rams and a dwarf gourami.
    Black neons would work, they need a group of 6+.
    Then make sure the type of cories you have can handle the high temps needed by rams.
    Corydoras aeneus, sterbai, gossei, oiapoquensis, haraldschultzi, seussi, adolfoi, and duplicareus will work. But make sure that it is just one species as mixed and matched isn't good. You need at least 6 of one species.

4. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Welcome to the forum :)

If you want to breed angels, you will need more tanks for the fry. Then you will need to find a way to get rid of the fry. It's more pain than it's worth.

Besides that. In a 29 you could only keep the pair. And it would be best if you kept it bare bottom. Plus a 29 will get awfully small for them when they are fully mature. A 30 gallon is more suitable for a single angel if you are keeping it in a community. Just my opinion.

Anything else you're interested in? Hope this doesn't discourage you.

5. OP
    OP
    c

Definitely doesn't discourage me. A year ago I inherited a 30 gallon tank in my classroom that was in awful shape. It had 3 huge gouramis, a massive pleco, 1 guppy and a black moor goldfish. There was a ton of algae and the water had evaporated so low from neglect that it was no more than half full. Me knowing nothing, I cleaned it up and added in 2 angelfish for color. I've recently upgraded that tank to a 55 gallon and am now working on my tank for at home. I don't have room for anything larger than the 29 gallon right now. However, we will be moving within a year and I will be able to upgrade by then so it's something I'm keeping in mind. If I do go with angels they would be dime-sized and would probably be ok until I could upgrade tank size. My main concern though is healthy fish so I'm definitely open to suggestions and criticisms.

6. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

Pretty much everything the others have said. There are other options for centerpiece fish though, gouramis and rams do nicely in a 29.

7. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

If you like schooling fish, there are tons of tetra that could work. If you are willing to plant it, you could have a large school of tetra, with a dwarf gourami and some otocinclus. It does not have to be planted for this stock, but the otocinclus do better in planted tanks.

8. OP
    OP
    c

The fish are going to be my birthday present and that's not until November so I've got plenty of time to decide how to stock it. I definitely want to try my hand at a planted tank on this one so I want to go ahead and get it set up and cycling and get the plants established. I have to say I'm not huge on gouramis as I've had bad luck with them but I might be open to rams.

9. LiterallyHydro

German blue rams in particular are really beautiful. The only thing is they should be in a well established tank since they are pretty sensitive buggers.

10. OP
    OP
    c

Yeah. I'm planning to let my tank cycle for about 3 months before adding any fish. Even then the rams or whatever show fish I decide on will be the last fish to go in.

11. LiterallyHydro

The cycle is ready for fish as soon as you have no ammonia or nitrites. You just want the rams to go in last so they aren't exposed to any spikes.

Are you familiar with how the nitrogen cycle works? It would be best to have a strong understanding of it so you don't rush anything and make any mistakes.

Here's a link to Fishlores article on the nitrogen cycle. I'd advise you read it thoroughly.

https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

12. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

It shouldn't take 3 months, that would be a really long cycle... mine cycled in 2 weeks.
    I would say 2-4 weeks on average.

13. OP
    OP
    c

I'm familiar with the cycle and I know it really doesn't take 3 months to cycle. However, I'm going to play it safe with this one. I'm going to go ahead and set it up with live plants (this will be my first time to have a live planted tank). I'm going to let it cycle well for a few weeks and just overall make sure the plants are established well before I add any fish. I will probably add in a few tetras, wait a couple weeks and then add in a few corys and wait a few more weeks before adding in the rams. The big fish are going to be my birthday present so I have to wait until early November to get them but by the time I get it cycled and add in the other fish it'll be pretty close to that time.

14. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

That sounds like a good plan!

15. LiterallyHydro

Sounds good. Keep us updated.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice