29 Gallon Setup Suggestions Needed

Flikkah
It’s been years since I’ve kept fish and am super excited to get back into the hobby. We picked up a fixer-upper 29 gallon from offer up yesterday and plan on spending the next couple of weeks setting it up and cycling it properly. I’m considering just a small sorority of koi betta (my son REALLLY wants “goldfish,” but not just one of course. I love Betta fish and thought this might be a good alternative for our tastes and the stocking limitations of a 29gallon) and plan on planting the tank and using driftwood - but what color substrate would work best and be most functional? I really love the idea of using white pebbles or sand but am reading that those substrates might not be best for plants. Suggestions? Also, would the white wash out the color of the Betta? Thanks!

Attachments

• 1AE9B627-6653-4316-8F5E-AD8513072D95.jpeg
    1AE9B627-6653-4316-8F5E-AD8513072D95.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 79

Advertisement
Zigi Zig
I use Fluval Plant Stratum and cover the bottom tank about two inches than I use Carib-Sea-Eco-Complete for rest.. If you use driftwood great idea don't forgot add lime stone or rocks to make balance of your PH is always plus to have natural resources to control quality of the water.,.

Advertisement
Bryangar
It’s been years since I’ve kept fish and am super excited to get back into the hobby. We picked up a fixer-upper 29 gallon from offer up yesterday and plan on spending the next couple of weeks setting it up and cycling it properly. I’m considering just a small sorority of koi betta (my son REALLLY wants “goldfish,” but not just one of course. I love Betta fish and thought this might be a good alternative for our tastes and the stocking limitations of a 29gallon) and plan on planting the tank and using driftwood - but what color substrate would work best and be most functional? I really love the idea of using white pebbles or sand but am reading that those substrates might not be best for plants. Suggestions? Also, would the white wash out the color of the Betta? Thanks!
HI there, Welcome to Fishlore!

The substrate color is personal preference.
There are several plants that can easily grow in sand. Just ask if you want to know which ones.

I personally like the look of a black substrate, it makes all the fish pop out. White sand is good too. As long as it isn’t anything too colorful.

Driftwood does releases tannins out, some more than others but it should not affect your Ph too much to where you have to add lime stone. If fact, Bettas prefer having acidic water. They naturally live in waters full of tannins.

Flikkah
Thank you all for your help! The tank is coming along nicely and finished cycling!!

KoiGuppyFan
HI there, Welcome to Fishlore!

The substrate color is personal preference.
There are several plants that can easily grow in sand. Just ask if you want to know which ones.

I personally like the look of a black substrate, it makes all the fish pop out. White sand is good too. As long as it isn’t anything too colorful.

Driftwood does releases tannins out, some more than others but it should not affect your Ph too much to where you have to add lime stone. If fact, Bettas prefer having acidic water. They naturally live in waters full of tannins.
I prefer a black or dark substrate aswell , as the colours of the fish will create a contrast and will show more

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
dwc13
Replies
Views
Tsyklon
Replies
Views
AquaticJ
Replies
Views