29 Gallon Saltwater Stocking Question

1. Briandd30

Briandd30 Valued Member Member

I have a 29 gallon with a pair of clownfish, I plan on turning it into a reef and wondering what else I should stock it with.I was thinking maybe a coral beauty angel with some blue chromis along with the pair of clownfish does this sound reasonable?

2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

@stella1979 is pretty good with saltwater(one of the only saltwater people I know on the forum).

3. stella1979

stella1979 Fishlore VIP Member

Hi there.:) Congrats on the reef build! Will this be your first?

I'm sorry but no, I absolutely would not put a Coral Beauty or any other Angel in a 29, even the dwarf species. The recommendation for a CB is about 80 gallons I believe. These guys need a good amount of space to be happy and healthy. Squeezing them into smaller tanks will lead to aggression and lowered immunity to common ailments that a healthy fish would be able to fight off.

Another thing about Angels and their dwarf brethren... They are known coral nippers.

The clowns and chromis should be just fine.:) Clowns can be rather territorial, even with eachother. So, if you want more than one, it's best to get juvies from a group and introduce them to your tank together.

Chromis can be little jerks too, so if you want to replace that CB with a less aggressive species like a blenny or goby, you'll need to stock the peaceful guy first. Any timid species should have a few weeks in the tank to hey comfortable and establish their 'safe place' before dominant species like clowns and Chromis are introduced.;)

4. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

A Coral Beauty might be okay in a 29 since the minimum recommendation I have found is 30. The only thing with them in a reef tank is that they will pick at live rock and maybe even coral polyps. Chromis (Damsels) can be aggressive, even with each other. I would stick with Clowns and maybe Gobies.

5. stella1979

stella1979 Fishlore VIP Member

I've seen the 30g recommendation size too, but we will of course find differing opinions on this matter with almost any fish. Dwarf angels are in constant motion and need lots of swim room to thrive. LiveAquaria is not my most trusted resource, but not a bad place to get started. They recommend 70g for this fish, and some of my most trusted sources say that a 40B is the absolute minimum. The difference in volume may not seem like a lot, but a 40B also offers a good bit more in the way of swim room for these fish than a 29g does. They will also defend a rather large territory so a 29, 30, or even a 40 would be pushing it as far as having everybody get along.

Agreed with @Dch48 on the stocking. :) Chromis are damsels, and so are clownfish. As a general rule, damsels are really mean little guys. I would stick to one species of damsel as well. :)

Since you already have the clowns and are planning on turning this into a reef, it may be a good idea to change the scape in the tank when a new fish is added. Moving rocks around may disrupt the territorial aggression from the clowns.

Blennies have stolen my heart lately. They can be quite comical darting in and out of the rocks, and look super cute when they're just perched on a rock. I was at an LFS a couple of weeks ago and got a big surprise when a black sailfin blenny darted out of a hole that looked too small to house anything. I am quite partial to the tail spot blenny though. They look like they have horns!:D

Of course, there are other semi-aggressive species that should be able to hold their own against those clowns. There are some smaller wrasses that would be very happy in a 29g. The orchid dottyback comes to mind as well. Dotty's can be super mean, but the orchid in particular is a bit calmer than most.

6. J

Jesterrace Well Known Member Member

As someone who owns a coral beauty in a 90 gallon tank, I can say that I agree they are best suited to a tank that is at least 4 feet long, mine is very active and grazes algae all over the tank (rocks, glass, etc.). Even a Pygmy Angel (Cherubfish) should go in at least a 40 breeder IMHO. I do not recommend Chromis either as they tend to pick each other off over time and in a 29 gallon they almost certainly will. I would go with Clownfish and either an Orchid Dottyback (captive bred would be best) or a Royal Gramma Basslet. Blennies, Gobies and Cardinalfish would also be good choices for a 29 gallon tank.

If you want an idea of how active the Coral Beauty is, check here (keep in mind this is a 90 gallon tank):

7. OP
    OP
    Briandd30

Briandd30 Valued Member Member

Thx for all the recommendations I thought that the CB would most likely not work but wanted to confirm I think I’ll probably just stick with some cardinals and the blue chromis