29 gallon reef!

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
there is 60-70 lbs of LR. 65 W of 50/50 power compact lighting soon to get a 75 ho fixture as well. a 3 striped damsel, some nassarus snails and GSP are the in habitants pictures to come shortly!

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
here are the pics from a cruddy cell camera. the water isnt really yellow or gross it is crystal clear. the polyps just opened up for the day they do open very pretty though

Attachments

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks good!!!! Take your time as the reward is still to come. Take your time and wait at least a couple weeks before adding anything and get your test kits!!!!

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow, Josh, your aquascaping looks awesome! I am very impressed. Do you have a test kit yet? I'd be curious to know where your water parameters are right now.

reef dude

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
cool set up,do you have a sump tank?skimmer?
keep up the good work man.

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm in the process of getting the test kit, and I'm getting a skimmer like this asap

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
and maybe a test kit like this?

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Save your money IMO. That skimmer won't be powerful enough to do much to a 29 gallon tank. The corals that you're looking at (frogspawn, mushrooms, GSP, zoas, palys, etc.) don't need a skimmer anyway. I've kept all those species long term with no skimmer and you can just do weekly water changes to keep them happy. Just a thought.

If this were my tank, my first priority would be either buying an RO/DI unit, or locating a source of RO/DI water. Some LFSs sell it premixed with salt or plain, and many grocery or superstores have an RO/DI dispenser in the store. Overall, it's probably cheapest in the long run to purchase an RO/DI unit for yourself, but for now I'd strongly recommend at least buying water.

reef dude

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
yip try get RO water and do your weekly water changes,if you bought that skimmer I bet you'll want to upgrade in a month or two,so save for a HOB or HOT skimmer like an aqua c remora.

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
how about this skimmer? and RO what does it really do for me?

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I just ordered the saltwater master kit from API off of ebay for 24.90 . is that a good price? I will need to get the reef master kit later aswell...(maybe in a few weeks.)

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
josh11551 said:
I just ordered the saltwater master kit from API off of ebay for 24.90 . is that a good price? I will need to get the reef master kit later aswell...(maybe in a few weeks.)
Do a venturI driven skimmer not a wood block driven like the first one those are very hard to control and need a lot of attention. Do you have a sump?

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
no sump... did you see the second skimmer I linked? is that one ok? it says double venturI driven or something in the description. NEW QUESTION: stocking Q: would 2 clowns ,a fire fish, maybe a mandarin goby,a coral banded shrimp( for bristle worms since they creep me out ) and 1 or 2 peppermint shrimp work? there is going to be 150 nassarus snails, 15 periwinkle snails, 15 hermits coming either monday or tuesday

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The second skimmer is a venturI driven yes go with that type but you wiil need a sump to use under tank I wouldn't put it in tank. As for clowns depends on type! Some when start to get large willl be very aggresive I would suggest just one for the size tank you have going. Fire fish ummm they are very delicate fish try something else till you have the tank for a while. Mandarins are as well hard to keep for that size tank. They need a lot of greens in there diet. If a coral banded shrimp is what you want then don't put any other type with them he will go after them. you don't need that many nassauris snails 3-4 is all you need and require feeding.Use turbos or margarita snails and you only need a few.Only have a max of 3-4 hermits and get extra shells for them different sizes. And keep reading!!!!!!!! Lol

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
what do you suggest as stocking then? I def. want at least 1 clown and I can't change the number of snails I got because they are already sent and I read it is reccomended as 4-5 nassauris per gallon and also can't change the number of hermits he already sent them and he is giving extra snails... what do you mean they require feeding the snails costed 2.99 so even though I don't want them to die, if they do they will feed on each other until balance is found, am I right? and since the snails are so cheap, doesn't that mean there is an abundance of them and shouldn't tear myself up over some snail deaths?

EDIT: I am looking at either the plain old percula or ocellaris

edit 2: I read on FL now that 1-2 /gallon. uh oh.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would go with more than 4-5 nassarius, but a lot less than 150.

Honestly, for the corals you're wanting to keep, a skimmer is not necessary. All the corals we've discussed so far (frogspawn and other euphyllia, zoas/palys, mushrooms, acans, etc.) are corals that are known to like "dirty" water. When I say "dirty" water I don't mean to let up on your maintenance schedule, but just that skimming isn't necessary. I've actually known of a lot of reef club members that keep amazing looking sps corals, but have problems keeping mushrooms and zoas. The heavy skimming and pristine water quality that is needed to keep sps looking their best can actually be detrimental to the corals you've been liking.

There are very few circumstances under which a mandarin would thrive in a 29. Most don't accept prepared foods and slowly starve to death in captivity. Their diet consists almost entirely of pods, and they graze almost constantly. Without a refugium, the pods cannot maintain enough of a population to support a mandarin.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Okay nassurius snails eat the dead. They are a snail that will eat a dead fish that has died within minutes. I have 4 of them I feed them marine sinking pelets 2 X's a week they stay under gravel for along period of time till they smell something. You said 150 of these? Wow man good luck they will move sand around that's for sure. I'm not convinced that they eat detritus!!! As for a clown do Percula if you want 2 I was looking to put 2 Black percula's in my cube. As for hermits dude that's a lot for your tank.But will do the job. Josh you are moving way to fast slow down let mother nature take hold first before you loose everything!!!!

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I totally agree. Don't you already have a fish in your tank? It should really be at least a month before you add any more, that's if the tank has cycled. It really is very very important to go slowly with the tank, or it's going to become frustrating rather than enjoyable at some point.

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I figure I got a really good deal on the snails that is why I bought them.
link to live aquaria: 150 nassaraius are $225 there
link to the ebay auction I won: 150 nassaraius AND 15 periwinkle snails for $2.99 so???? I don't want any to die but if they have to, so be it I guess? I would give some away if I knew how to ship....

P.S. he sent 20 hermits and 5 empty shells

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
harpua2002 said:
I would go with more than 4-5 nassarius, but a lot less than 150.

Honestly, for the corals you're wanting to keep, a skimmer is not necessary. All the corals we've discussed so far (frogspawn and other euphyllia, zoas/palys, mushrooms, acans, etc.) are corals that are known to like "dirty" water. When I say "dirty" water I don't mean to let up on your maintenance schedule, but just that skimming isn't necessary. I've actually known of a lot of reef club members that keep amazing looking sps corals, but have problems keeping mushrooms and zoas. The heavy skimming and pristine water quality that is needed to keep sps looking their best can actually be detrimental to the corals you've been liking.

There are very few circumstances under which a mandarin would thrive in a 29. Most don't accept prepared foods and slowly starve to death in captivity. Their diet consists almost entirely of pods, and they graze almost constantly. Without a refugium, the pods cannot maintain enough of a population to support a mandarin.
Sorry Harpua but I totally disagree about skimmer. The skimmer works for many reasons One pulls unwanted algael that form in a tank that does not have one. second you have a point on dirty water but does have an effect toward deinitrafication such as higher nitrates from the cause of toxic break down. I would not want to do a water change every week no way in the long run you pay more for materials such as salt and water. Don't take this in a bad way I have had skimmers for since I started back in 1988 and have had big sucess at reefing and yes I have always used a skimmer.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads