29 Gallon Redo

Euryak

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello, I previously posted my 29 gallon high planted tank and it was doing well until my children dumped an entire container of fish food in the tank and nearly killed everything. I had to resort to taking everything into the LFS to save them.

With that being said..... I do not want to redo the planted tank , rather restart from scratch but something a little easier to maintain. I am wanting to do just a sand substrate with all rock hard scape.

I would really like to do a cichlid tank but I understand that you need a larger tank. So I’m wondering what cichlids can I do in a 29 gallon high. I really wanted to do a Mbunu tank so maybe I can with over filtration from a canister filter.

If I can’t do cichlids i still want to do the whole sand substrate/hardscape

Danny002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
A pair of apistogramma cacatuoides would probably love that. They spawn in rock caves and a dark substrate will make them feel perfectly at home as well as bring out the colors in the male. You could probably do some other apistogrammas or another kind of dwarf cichlid, but I am biased towards the cacatuoides and I know the most about those so that's my reccomendation! What are the dimensions of the tank?

OP
E

Euryak

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I guess I’m going with the shell dwellers, I got some Carib sea argonite , and some various sizes of escargot shells on order, I have some petrified wood from an older setup , would this be ok to add?

OP
E

Euryak

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Starting the cycle tomorrow probably, gotta pick up some TSS+, thinking of adding some floating plants, I hear Hornwort can tolerate this type of setup. Also I think I have too many shells , probably will remove some. What kind of fish can I add to the middle that’s compatible with this setup and fish?

Attachments

New Threads