29 gallon, possibly first salty tank

Frisbee

Hi, I just got a 29 gallon, and I'm considering dabbling in the dark side (salty side). If I did, it would be a fish only, with a pair of clownfish.

I have a few questions.

If (emphesize if ) I decided to go for it, how necessary would a protein skimmer be for this setup?
How necessary would RO water be for this setup?

Cheesecake

I would try a brackish tank first, just to kind of experience what all goes into a SW tank, especially since you have no prior experience. SW tanks are $$$$, so it'd be better to experiment with a BW tank first (just in case you mess something up).

Upvote 0

Jesterrace

Hi, I just got a 29 gallon, and I'm considering dabbling in the dark side (salty side). If I did, it would be a fish only, with a pair of clownfish.

I have a few questions.

If (emphesize if ) I decided to go for it, how necessary would a protein skimmer be for this setup?
How necessary would RO water be for this setup?

For that setup, no protein skimmer would be required provided you stick to weekly partial water changes, a good food source (ie LRS Reef Frenzy) and the pair of clownfish you mentioned AND don't overfeed (ie no more than they can eat in 2-3 minutes). The need for a protein skimmer is all dependent on bioload and smaller lighter bioload tanks can easily get by without one. As for RODI water, would it be required? technically, no it wouldn't be but you will likely have more unwanted algae and cyanobacteria (ie Red Slime Algae) issues. One of the things many folks don't understand about Saltwater Tanks and RODI is that with freshwater you need the minerals in the tapwater for a healthy tank, so you simply treat and go. With Saltwater, the salt crystals you add already have everything you need for a healthy tank and are highly mineralized to boot. So when you add that to whatever random minerals and solids in tapwater you often create the perfect storm for unwanted algae growth at best and can possibly have things that are harmful to certain types of biolife at worst. In addition to that Marine Based Tanks that use tapwater often have a more cloudy/murky appearance, so it's much more difficult to get that really clean display look you see on many marine tanks. The difference is enough that after you learn what to look for (ie solid floating bits, a bit of a cloudy/hazy look) that you can tell about 90% of the time that someone is using tapwater simply by them posting a pic or vid.

I would try a brackish tank first, just to kind of experience what all goes into a SW tank, especially since you have no prior experience. SW tanks are $$$$, so it'd be better to experiment with a BW tank first (just in case you mess something up).

This is true in a lot of respects, but a saltwater fish only tank with a couple of clownfish isn't too difficult to setup or maintain and the cost can be done for quite a bit less than a lot of people think. I actually have no qualms recommending the type of setup the OP is talking about to someone who has zero fishkeeping experience provided they take the time to research it properly first.

Upvote 0

Cheesecake

This is true in a lot of respects, but a saltwater fish only tank with a couple of clownfish isn't too difficult to setup or maintain and the cost can be done for quite a bit less than a lot of people think. I actually have no qualms recommending the type of setup the OP is talking about to someone who has zero fishkeeping experience provided they take the time to research it properly first.

True, but when I first got into BW tanks, I had NO IDEA what I was doing. I just don't want anyone else to be as dumb as me lol .

Upvote 0

kanzekatores

With a light stock like that no protein skimmer is needed. RO/DI is pretty much always needed in a saltwater tank; tap water would add too much unwanted minerals.
Don’t be scared to try it out; a LOT of people are intimidated by saltwater, when I find it really easy and the tanks really rewarding. It’ll be easy to get the hang of, and it’s similar to keeping freshwater in numerous ways.

Upvote 0

Mhamilton0911

I'm watching this as I am living my dreams through you.

I would love to dabble into saltwater as well.....

Upvote 0

Frisbee

I'm watching this as I am living my dreams through you.

I would love to dabble into saltwater as well.....
Well, I’m on a budget, so don’t get your hopes to high. There’s very good possibility I won’t, because I don’t think I’m quite ready to invest in an RO system.

Upvote 0

kanzekatores

If your lfs offers it, it might be cheaper (maybe not in the long run though) to buy it there. I think mine asks 50¢ per gallon. It really depends on how long you plan to keep this tank.

Upvote 0

Jesterrace

Well, I’m on a budget, so don’t get your hopes to high. There’s very good possibility I won’t, because I don’t think I’m quite ready to invest in an RO system.

As mentioned above many saltwater local fish stores offer RODI Water for sale and for a smaller tank like that it might be more practical to get it going. That said, RODI Systems can be had for less than people think. This guy runs about the same as a solid 70-75 gallon HOB Filter:

https://www.amazon.com/Aquatic-Life...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Nart
Replies
Views
Zach72202
  • Question
Replies
Views
fish 321