29 Gallon Planted Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Fishlover832, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Fishlover832

Fishlover832 Valued Member Member

Hello. This will be my first post ever on this site, although I've been using this website for probably a year now. Anyways, I'm in the process of setting up a 29 gallon planted tank (30x12x18). I understand I should only stock using the footprint size for oxygen and co2 exchange, but I was hoping to stock a little more. Don't worry, I'll keep up with water conditions. Here's my current list of fish I plan to have:
    -8 cardinal tetras
    -4 serpae tetras
    -4 black phantom tetras
    -5 otocinclus (too many?)
    -2 halfbeaks (any input on their compatibility with the other fish?)
    I honestly don't know if this would be too high of a stock. If so, what would you recommend changing? If not, could I add anymore? Any other comments or input? Thanks in advance for all the help!

2. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Not too sure on the halfbeaks, to be honest. The rest seems fine to me. I don't see any issues.

3. F

Florian Pellet Well Known Member Member

Tetras are schooling fish and they should really be a minimum of 6. I'd even recommend 10 per school for their sake (as well as for a better looking schooling behavior).

4. cjbart1009

cjbart1009 Valued Member Member

Half beaks don't bother anyone. They stay at the top level 99% of the time.

5. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

I agree that tetras should be kept in at least 6, but 10 isn't quite necessary. I have 5 glo-tetras and they school just fine. In fact they look really good and have adopted a DG into their school. It is quite amazing & unusual (I have plans to add 3 more black skirts soon, btw)

@TexasDomer @Anders247 @BottomDweller any opinions?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  6. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Interesting about the Tetras adopting the DG into the school. All of my DGs have either been shy or territorial.

7. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

It is sooo cool to watch. They were together in a 10 gallon since January. I just moved them all into a 29 gallon on Wednesday (4 days ago) and since then they have been acting like one school of fish. Otto (the DG) will go off for a few seconds then comes back to the school. This happens over and over. I didn't believe it at first, but it certainly looks like he's schooling with them. Now once I get a few more fish, that may change, but for now, it's very entertaining.

8. OP
    OP
    Fishlover832

Thanks for all the quick replies. Would adding a few more of the tetras hurt? What would you say would be the limit for each tetra school? Eight seepage tetras and eight black phantom tetras too much? Nothing's set in stone fortunately.

9. cjbart1009

Have you looked into rummy nose or bloodfin tetras?

Oh btw if yes interested in half beaks they're livebearers and the males will pester the females to breed nonstop. I have 1 male with 2 females and thinking of adding 1 more female.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  10. OP
    OP
    Fishlover832

I have looked into rummy nose tetras. I thought about doing those but I didn't think I would have enough space for a decent number of them. You think I could fit some rummy nose tetras in there too? And I've heard some things about the genders of halfbeaks, I'll research some more about that before I get them.

11. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    Take either the black phantoms or serpaes off the list and up the group you keep to 8.

12. cjbart1009

The wrestling halfbeak stays small and that's what I have. The males have orange on their anal fin and females just have clear fins.

13. OP
    OP
    Fishlover832

I thought that the serpaes and black phantoms might shoal (if that's the right word) together because they are very similar tetras. Do you think they might? If not I'll take off the black phantom tetras.

So they would be okay with the tetras?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2017
  14. cjbart1009

Yes. Btw for the phantom and serpae tetras they would shoal seldomly but mostly keep to themselves. I had groups of 7 before and I thought of the same thing. Guess I was wrong. Lol.

15. OP
    OP
    Fishlover832

Lol! thanks for the input. Guess I'll take off the black phantoms and add some more serpaes. If I added any rummy noses would that be too much?

16. cjbart1009

If you're still getting cardinals then yes. Honestly I would just choose one schooling fish. Serpae tetras given the right food and water quality will look stunning. But it's up to you.

17. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

They are both different species, so they don't school together.

18. OP
    OP
    Fishlover832

Guess I'll keep that in mind. I've read that some tetras with similar physical traits may stay together more than with others, but I guess not so much. This is my revised list:
    -8 carfinal tetras
    -8 serpae tetras
    -5 otocinclus
    And I'm assuming no rummy nose tetras because as someone previously noted, which I agree with, adding a healthy number of those would be too much.

Oh and 2 wrestling halfbeaks

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2017
  19. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, different tetra species should be kept in their own groups.
    Different color variants of the same species are the ones that will school together.

20. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

I think cardinals need warmer water than otos. I suggest switching it out and put in neon tetras, they look almost the same, but can thrive in cooler waters.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice