29 Gallon Planted Tank Stocking

Fisker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello! Just ordered some equipment to start repairing a 29 gallon I got for free, and was thinking about stocking. I know I'll definitely be keeping a Valentini Puffer in there, and I'm trying to decide if I want to add a second non-reef safe fish while I'm at it. I was thinking a dwarf angel (Cherub Angel or maybe a Coral Beauty), but didn't know if they'd be compatible with the puffer.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Giving this a bump up for you I’m sure our salty members can come up with several suggestions for you.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello! Just ordered some equipment to start repairing a 29 gallon I got for free, and was thinking about stocking. I know I'll definitely be keeping a Valentini Puffer in there, and I'm trying to decide if I want to add a second non-reef safe fish while I'm at it. I was thinking a dwarf angel (Cherub Angel or maybe a Coral Beauty), but didn't know if they'd be compatible with the puffer.
We need to clarify a few things here. Dwarf and Pygmy Angels are generally lumped in together but they are actually separate so the breakdown is as follows:

Pygmy Angels rarely exceed 3 inches in length and the following fish are considered Pygmy Angels: Cherubfish, Flameback Angel, Fireball Angel, Yellow Tail Pygmy

Dwarf Angels get between 4-6 inches in length (barring the Tibicean that gets a whopping 8 inches) and consist of the Coral Beauty, Flame Angel, Potter's, Lemon Peel, Eibli, Half-Black, Bi-Color, etc.

As for the fish themselves both are very active and somewhat aggressive and a 30 inch long tank really isn't suited to either long term as they stand a high chance of being aggressive in a tank of that size. Pygmy Angels are smaller but are generally a little more active than Dwarf Angels.

In addition Puffers are known fin nippers, so that might be an issue.

To get an idea of how cramped a Dwarf Angel would be in a 30 inch long tank, here is a Flame Angel I had in my 30 inch long 36 gallon Bowfront tank:

Here is my current coral beauty in my 4 foot long 90 gallon (notice how active it is) :

Fisker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
We need to clarify a few things here. Dwarf and Pygmy Angels are generally lumped in together but they are actually separate so the breakdown is as follows:

Pygmy Angels rarely exceed 3 inches in length and the following fish are considered Pygmy Angels: Cherubfish, Flameback Angel, Fireball Angel, Yellow Tail Pygmy

Dwarf Angels get between 4-6 inches in length (barring the Tibicean that gets a whopping 8 inches) and consist of the Coral Beauty, Flame Angel, Potter's, Lemon Peel, Eibli, Half-Black, Bi-Color, etc.

As for the fish themselves both are very active and somewhat aggressive and a 30 inch long tank really isn't suited to either long term as they stand a high chance of being aggressive in a tank of that size. Pygmy Angels are smaller but are generally a little more active than Dwarf Angels.

In addition Puffers are known fin nippers, so that might be an issue.

To get an idea of how cramped a Dwarf Angel would be in a 30 inch long tank, here is a Flame Angel I had in my 30 inch long 36 gallon Bowfront tank:

Here is my current coral beauty in my 4 foot long 90 gallon (notice how active it is) :

Thanks for the clarification with the pygmy vs. dwarves. I was specifically referring to THE Pygmy angel (or the cherub angel, as I believe they're called), but it's good to know that there's more than two species that are considered pygmies.

Do you have any other suggestions? I'd love to have an angel one day, but if they're going to be too cramped (or even just on the verge of too cramped) in my current tank, I'd rather wait for the moment. I'd like to stay away from aggressive fish, but would like to get something that's going to be able to hold it's own against my puffer in case of any fin nipping.

Fish I had considered:

Chalk Bass
Lantern Bass
Pair of Blue Gudgeon Dartfish
Pair of Yellow Clown Gobies

I'm really looking for either a single specimen (or a pair/trio of smaller fish) to fill out the tank. If nothing strikes me, I don't mind dedicating the tank to the puffer - I'd just like to try to make the most out of the tank, if I can.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The concen with any of them is the possibility of fin nipping from the puffer. The valentini puffer nips.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom