29 gallon not fully cycled after 8 weeks

Sfflores89

Hi, I'm new into the hobby although I have a fully cycled 10 gallon that just had one female gourami, ghost shrimp and 1 nerite snail with no issues. I started a 29 gallon 8 weeks ago and after it was fully cycled I added 5 diamond tetras, then a couple weeks later added 6 peppered corydora catfish. Long story short the corys had likely had columnaris and all died within days, but I dosed my tank with kanaplex because I read it wouldn't disturb the biofilter. The diamond tetras were fine. Unfortunately I never fully got my cycle back but being new I didn't realize this.

A month after that I started to add fish and just thought I had to keep adding prime and stability through these mini cycles. My tank just wouldn't complete the cycle and would stall at the nitrite stage. So I added 2 bottles of tetra safestart plus after a 50% water change. After 3 days cycle started, but I had a nitrite spike over 2ppm and nitrate spike over 40ppm, this lasted 2 days then the nitrite disappeared but nitrates were at least 40ppm so I did a 30% water change per tetra support recommendation. After doing that ammonia went from 0 back up to 2ppm and nitrite 0, nitrate still 40ppm. I decided to do a couple 50% water changes, added another bottle of tetra safestart plus 2 days ago. Today ammonia is 0.5, nitrite 0.25, nitrate 10ppm. I'm not getting answers from tetra support. The last thing they told me was to stop using prime so I did but I'm concerned about the stress this is putting on my fish. The last nitrite spike caused some of my fish to get stressed and sick so I posted in another thread about those issues but the real issue is I need to get my tank cycled. I added 1 tsp salt per every 3 gallons, I read this helps reduce effects of nitrite. Temp is 79 degrees F and ph 7.4

Thanks in advance for the advice!

TungPham

Hello,

I'm also a new goldfish keeper in Fishlore, and just like you, I find it truly frustrating while waiting for the cycle to complete. From what I've read, you started this 29 gallon tank 8 weeks ago, but some of the fish died and the cycle was stalled until recently? And if I understand correctly, then doesn't it mean your tank is under cycling progress for a few weeks at most?

And when we look at it, today result is really promising and you are getting there! With the fish-in cycle, I believe you should keep changing water daily, and dose Prime every 24-48 hours (the amount of Prime should be accounted for the amount of water you have changed.) to help the fish. I haven't use Tetra Safestart myself so I won't comment on them, but during my fish-in cycling I found Prime very helpful to keep my fish safe from Ammonia and Nitrite. However, dosing both or even more doesn't seem to make it any better, so if it was me, I would stick to one product and see how it goes for at least a week. Another thing is to keep testing the water every day to make sure every paramaters are within safe range for your fish.

In the mean time, do you have a hospital tank or something like that? If you fish are under stress and sick, move them out is your best option (if you care about their health) then wait until your 29 gallon tank is fully cycled before putting them back. That was what I did as well, as I used to have 6 goldfish in my 40g tank for fish-in cycling, but after reading and asking on Fishlore, I decided to let them go and do continue the cycle but fishless instead. Right now I'm also at Nitrite stage for almost 2 week, as shown in the picture below.

Someone with more experience could offer better advices, but I hope my opinion here could help to ease your worry a little bit. Keep it up and be patience!

1660010609628.png

Sfflores89

Hello,

I'm also a new goldfish keeper in Fishlore, and just like you, I find it truly frustrating while waiting for the cycle to complete. From what I've read, you started this 29 gallon tank 8 weeks ago, but some of the fish died and the cycle was stalled until recently? And if I understand correctly, then doesn't it mean your tank is under cycling progress for a few weeks at most?
Yes, some of the fish died but 5 diamon tetras stayed alive throughout, I waited and thought the cycle was complete but evidently not. I added more fish and thought it was just a mini cycle but it kept stopping at the nitrite stage. After adding tetra safestart I am finally getting nitrates at least.
And when we look at it, today result is really promising and you are getting there! With the fish-in cycle, I believe you should keep changing water daily, and dose Prime every 24-48 hours (the amount of Prime should be accounted for the amount of water you have changed.) to help the fish. I haven't use Tetra Safestart myself so I won't comment on them, but during my fish-in cycling I found Prime very helpful to keep my fish safe from Ammonia and Nitrite. However, dosing both or even more doesn't seem to make it any better, so if it was me, I would stick to one product and see how it goes for at least a week. Another thing is to keep testing the water every day to make sure every paramaters are within safe range for your fish.
Yes, I'm getting there! When I messaged tetra support they told me not to dose Prime, saying it might interfere with the safestart from working properly. So my last water change i used their conditioner but it doesnt detoxify the ammonia/nitrites. They also made it seem like if I did water changes during the first 2 weeks of the process that I would need to add more safestart or could stall. From what I read on tetras website, apparently the bacteria lives in the water column initially before it establishes in the media. I've also read everywhere else that the bacteria stay in the media and not the water column and that water changes should not affect the cycling so that conflicting info had confused me.
In the mean time, do you have a hospital tank or something like that? If you fish are under stress and sick, move them out is your best option (if you care about their health) then wait until your 29 gallon tank is fully cycled before putting them back. That was what I did as well, as I used to have 6 goldfish in my 40g tank for fish-in cycling, but after reading and asking on Fishlore, I decided to let them go and do continue the cycle but fishless instead. Right now I'm also at Nitrite stage for almost 2 week, as shown in the picture below.
I have separated the sick/stressed fish to a separate tank. Ok wow so the nitrite will come and go during this stage? Good to know that explains why I seen the nitrites disappear then after a partial water change the next day they were there again.
Someone with more experience could offer better advices, but I hope my opinion here could help to ease your worry a little bit. Keep it up and be patience!

1660010609628.png
I really appreciate the encouragement and info. I hope we can get our tanks cycled soon, good luck to you!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ashhhh
Replies
Views
RayClem
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views