29 gallon lighting question

nevets9333

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Right now a 29 gallon tank with a t8 17 watt full spectrum light. I just got the money to buy a cover which came with this light two days ago and was wondering if my plants will be fine. For the first couple months all I had on my tank was a 100w desk lamp hanging above the tank. I have a wisteria, Argentine sword, mellon sword, rotala indica, and a floating plant that I am not sure what the name of it is. I have pictures of the tank if needed. Any advice is appreciated!

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have two t8 20 watt bulbs on my 29g planted tank. Personally, even for low light plants I think you need more than 17 watts of light. I would look into adding another light strip. This forces you to feed from the back of the tank since you wont be able to open the glass top, but its worth it.

nevets9333

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Okay, thank you. If I need to I might just add another light. Do you know if I could just switch the light I have with a stronger light instead of adding another light strip?

nevets9333

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Awesome. Would it not be worth it to upgrade the single light to a stronger one? I think I am probably going to upgrade to the double light strip but was just wondering how much effect using a single stronger light than the one I have would be.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi Nevets,

I'd agree you'll want to up your lighting for the plants you've listed, you'll probably need at least 50w of light to meet your plants' needs. Unfortunately you will need to get a new fixture to do this though as a fluorescent lighting fixture designed for a 17w bulb will only be able to power bulbs near that wattage. A T5HO fixture would serve you well if you don't mind spending the extra money, but if you're on a stricter budget though you might want to look at different DIY lighting projects. Keep in mind you'll need to supplement CO2 with these lights.

If this is your first time dealing with plants you might want to start off with easier low light plants such as java moss, java ferns, crypts, and a few others that won't require upped lighting and CO2.

Best of luck
-Bass master

nevets9333

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you for your wisdom bass master. I have never used co2 before and was hoping I would be able to avoid it. Would I need co2 for both your suggestedT5HO orthe double light strip james95 showed me? I am new to the planted tanks but the plants seemed to do fine for the first couple months without a co2 system.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I didn't see the exact wattage of the fixture in the link but I'd assume if it's standard t5 it would carry 36 watts. That would be perfect for low light plants and wouldn't require any additional co2 or ferts.

-Bass master

nevets9333

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I appreciate all your help! Sorry to be a pain but I have one last question, would I be able to put that right on my cover or would I have to elevate it so the cover doesn't over heat? Its just a basic aqueon in cover.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's no trouble, we are here to help after all

I can't say I'm 100% certain how your cover will handle the new light strip, although as long as it's glass or plexiglass it could more than likely take the heat. Whether or not it will fit over your current cover I have no idea though. I saw the link listed dimensions for the strip so you could probably measure your current cover to check their compatibility. If not, the link also had a cover suggested for use with the light.

-Bass master

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom