29 gallon is it full?

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok, got a 29 gallon high tank planted with 8 Buenos Aires tetras, 8 Cochu's Blue tetras & an Albino Bristlenose Pleco. Is this full, or can I increase the # of ba's & blues?

Thanks
Keith

I want to maximize the beauty of my schooling fish by filling their #'s out, but don't want to overstock.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If the fish are full grown and you think there's room then add more.

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jaysee said:
No, the blues are very young. The Ba's are mixed, couple are full or nearly full grown, some teenagers and 1 or 2 pre teens.

Thanks

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Jaysee said:
What?? This doesn't sound like a precise Jaysee answer! Who are you and what have you done with Jaysee?!?!

If your Blue's are the Boehlkea fredcochuI like I'm thinking they get to be about 1-1/2" to 1-3/4" as adults and the BA tetras hit about 2-1/2 I believe with the BN pleco getting up to 6"(or so I have read). This brings your current stock up to 40" of adult fish in a 29 gallon tank.

So I would have to say it's full but that's the old 1" of fish per gallon rule and I am newer to the hobby so I may be wrong.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
blkdeath75 said:
What?? This doesn't sound like a precise Jaysee answer! Who are you and what have you done with Jaysee?!?!
Well, it's not like there isn't enough of either. If I were going to add more fish to that tank, it would be more of the blue tetras.

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't know, I wouldn't want to add more as it seems a bit full right now. jmo.

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Personally, I don't put much stock in the inch rule. I've been looking at others stocking questions for months now trying to get a feel for it. It seems that the most important thing is how many fish are in each region. You can have more fish in a tank, if they occupy diferent regions. Having said this, I still believe that getting the right stocking #'s is the hardest part of keeping fish.

I'm in no hurry to add to this tank. Just got the blues on Wed from Harpua, so it would be at least 2 weeks b/4 I did anything. Just trying to get a feel for where I'm at.

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yea the inch per gallon is more of a guideline than a rule. In the long run it would mainly depend on how often you do maintenance, what kind of a filter you have, what kind of media you use for it. I mean.....myself, I have a 38g community tank with probably about 60 or more inches of fish in it because I can't afford another tank, but my numbers stay at 0-0-40 and under because I do 40% twice a week until I get another setup going.

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think the 1 inch per gallon rule is good for small tanks. Bigger tanks give more flexibility, as long as we keep up with maintenance. Maybe you could wait and see how they're doing. If you want to add more fish, I would go with bottom dwellers imo. Keep us updated

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads