29 Gallon High Setup - Confused by details

GradAquarium
Hi, I am not entirely new to aquariums and I know all about water chemistry and basic aquarium stuff. I decided to unpack my old 29 gallon high tank since I recently moved. I purchased a Marineland Penguin Power Filter rated for a 50-70 gallon tank at 350 gallons/hour. I know it is overkill for this size tank but my father has a 50 gallon tank in storage and I may decide to transition into it. I have a undergravel filter panel which I plan on hooking up to the power filter. My aquascape will have some terracing because I want live plants but don't want their roots in the undergravel filter. My stocking plan is as follows:

10 cherry shrimp
8 panda corydoras
12 - 15 rummynose tetras
Something else: neon tetras, black neon tetras, ember tetras, serpae tetras, . . .

I am quite dead set on the shrimp, cories, and rummies. I have a couple questions about the whole setup.

1. Is the undergravel filter hooked up to the power filter intake a good idea? I thought it would protect any young shrimp and just be nice for tank water quality. The pump itself should be powerful enough. I noticed online that some people mention the need to take the undergravel filter out every three months to clean it which means disrupting the entire tank. I know rummynose tetras are quite sensitive and I would rather not do that. Is it really necessary if I have a power filter running through it?

2. I was trying to go for a black, white and red color theme in the tank. The cories are black and white, the shrimp are red, and the rummynose have all three. I was trying to choose another calm schooling fish that would go nicely with that color scheme (a single bright male betta would have been really cool but that is a recipe for disaster). I plan on having a dark substrate and some shaded areas in the tank. I would prefer fish that will not school with the rummies. I have heard that rummies tend to school in lower regions of the tank, so it would be good to get fish that school at the top (I am really not fond of danios or any of the livebearers). I looked into ember tetras but can't tell if they come out really orange or red and how that would look.

3. I know cherry shrimp are at risk in any tank with fish and likely the young will be quickly devoured. However, I want to keep them with fish that will not attack the adults. The tank will be planted with plenty of moss and a few caves but I'd like the shrimp to be comfortable enough to graze openly so I can watch them. I have heard a lot of differing opinions and I am not sure what to do now.

I'd really appreciate any advice you can give. It is all small details but this is the first time I have really planned out a tank and its community and I want it to be a success. Thanks in advance

HappiestCamper
1)Okay so I have zero idea on the filter I'll leave that to someone else
2)so unfortunately the panda Cory and rummy nose tetra aren't temp compatible. As the pandas prefer much cooler water. If you want to keep the rummy nose a Cory like the Albino cory is temp compatible and stay within your red/white/black theme. EDIT***Adolfoi and duplicareus have been recommend for warmer water on this forum before and look semI comparable to pandas and adolfoi temp range is almost identical to rummys*** However if you want to keep the pandas you could pick a different fish although I don't know much about cooler water fish other than white cloud mountain minnows so I will leave that to someone else for suggestions. I'm sure the forum gurus will have ideas in the morning
EDIT I forgot to suggest cherry barbs as the other school as the males are pretty red and I don't think they would school much with the rummynose. They are a pretty peaceful barb and I think should do okay with shrimp but someone else may have a comment on that or another fish suggestion.
3)I also haven't personally kept dwarf shrimp yet although I will be soon. The rummys and corys should leave the adults alone and it's my understanding that if the cherrys have a chance to colonize they have a better chance of some of the fry making it. But like I said I haven't personally kept them just yet.

Florian Pellet
What about chilI rasboras? Red schooling fish.

As for shrimps, mine are pretty much left at peace by my stock (Betta, Molly, and school of Harlequin rasboras). One time they were harassed by my Betta but that was when my water quality was down due to a problem with the filter. They were weak and got eaten. But the rest of the time, they graze openly and swim like tiny helicopters. They reproduce like crazy.

GradAquarium
Thank you for the warning on the panda corydoras. A lot of sites list their temperature range as similar with that of rummy nose tetras but now that I look it up, I see a lot of water temp issues. I was not set on pandas in particular, so I will look at a warmer water variety. My plan with the shrimp was to introduce them first to the tank and let them stabilize for week or two before introducing cories. In stable conditions I've read they can reproduce in a 3-4 weeks which is about how long it would be before introducing any tetras. I have looked at chilI rasboras but unfortunately I can't find them locally. I like the idea of cherry barbs. That would be my last addition to the tank so it will probably be at least 6-8 weeks. Thank you for your advice guys.

aliray
Shrimp are the most sensitive to water quality issues So you would need to be sure that the tank is fully cycled meaning Nitrogen cycle and usually they do better in an established tank. I would do the fish first after the cycle is done and then wait a month before adding the shrimp. Ember tetras are orange in color, I have some. I have never kept the cherry shrimp . This is just info I have read on here so wait for more response from those who have. Dolfan and EricV have a lot of experience with the dwarf shrimp and Dolfan wrote a sticky under the shrimp subforum on setting up a shrimp tank that should help. The stickys are in the grey section at the top of the cherry shrimp forum. Alison

GradAquarium
Ah that is very interesting about the shrimp. I initially planned on using a few guppies to establish the tank and then introduce the shrimp first so that they would have time to establish in the tank. However after reading Dolfan's sticky, I see that is the wrong line of thought. I might need to get snails or something to deal with algae buildup though if I am waiting a month or two on the shrimp.

Top Bottom