29 Gallon Guppy Tank - Need help

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by Captainhpwdy73, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Captainhpwdy73New MemberMember

Im startin my first tank a 29 gal ..i want guppies ........my filter is a filter for a 90 gal tank is this ok? Also have live plants in tank to start.will send pic if needed

2. mikerox29Well Known MemberMember

Hi,

I believe that the tank is a good size for guppies. But I would try to avoid males and females in the same tank as you will be overrun by fry really quickly. The filter sounds perfect too. You will also need to use a heater as guppies are not coldwater fish. Live plants will be benificial also. Do you know about the Nitrogen Cycle?

3. junebugFishlore LegendMember

What is the GPH rating for your filter? What type of filter is it, a canister or HOB?

4. Captainhpwdy73New MemberMember

It's a hob with 400 gph

Yes i read about the cycling the tank thank for the link

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2015
  5. junebugFishlore LegendMember

Your filter is fine then (FWIW it wouldn't be fine for anything much larger than a 40 gallon though. Would certainly never use it on a 90g, tanks that large require at minimum a canister but preferably a sump). You want about 10x rotation of the tank water per hour for an HOB filter, yours is a little more than that, but that's okay. You will want to put a sponge over the intake and possibly may need to baffle the output waterfall so it doesn't slam the guppies around.

6. Captainhpwdy73New MemberMember

Ok how do i baffle the output

7. junebugFishlore LegendMember

Lots of different methods are out there. Some will stuff some filter foam in and spread it over the waterfall into the tank water. Personally I tend to cut a plastic water bottle to fit over the outflow and tape it on to redirect the flow and disperse it over a greater surface area.

8. LeafrayValued MemberMember

One tip I would add... Hornswort... If you end up getting males and females, and they start breeding, chances are that the guppies are gonna get outta control ( that's how I started with guppies almost five years ago... ) with that many guppies, the filter might not be able to help remove all the toxins... Hornswort grows very well in all my tanks. Absorbing all the toxins like a sponge... A plus is that they grow into a forest like look ( very pretty in my opinion ). Also guppies don't do well in soft water, mine start shimmying if the water drops below a ph of 7.0.... I would test your city water and if it's too soft, adding salt+baking soda, or crushed coral would be a need...

Currently breeding: h/b purple guppies

9. junebugFishlore LegendMember

Salt won't raise the alkalinity. And rather than crushed coral which can result in severe pH swings at water change time, something like Seachem's alkaline buffer and Equilibrium would be a better choice.

That's assuming the tap water is soft. Most tap water in the US is quite hard, so it's usually not relevant.

10. LeafrayValued MemberMember

Oh I'm sorry if I gave any incorrect info.... But salt has effected my tank ph... And haven't had any problems with the coral, I put a sack of corals in my water change bucket

11. Captainhpwdy73New MemberMember

Just realized why do i need to sponge the input and what kind of sponge.

12. junebugFishlore LegendMember

To prevent fry from being sucked into the filter.

Also just for the record, Kosher salt, which is pure NaCL just like aquarium salt or Ice Cream salt, won't affect pH according to the folks at UC Davis (I was curious, so I looked it up haha)

Quote from the article cited below:
    "Salts that are from strong bases and strong acids do not hydrolyze. The pH will remain neutral, at 7. Halides and alkaline metals dissociate and do not affect the H+ as the cation does not alter the H+ and the anion does not attract the H+ from water. This is why NaCl is a neutral salt.Jul 29, 2015"

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  13. happyfins14Valued MemberMember

Hi,

This post has plenty of replies, but I thought I'd add in mine...

It's better to overfiltrate than underfiltrate... (if I spelled that right) The only way that filter would be a problem is if the current is too strong for the guppies, and you can fix that with baffling. Personally I cut the two ends off a water bottle and taped it around my filter's outtake, which solved the problem perfectly.

Live plants are awesome. If this is your first tank I suggest anacharis, hornwort, java moss, Marimo moss balls, java ferns, or water wisteria, all of which are really easy. And they do help out the water quality, too.

Also guys not to sound rude but they asked about their filter and plants, not ph or salt.

14. LeafrayValued MemberMember

Yeah guess we got sidetracked :D but +1 on hornswort! Java fern+moss and those moss balls are easy plants... But take time to kick in.... Hornswort on the other hand, grows like a real weed!

15. happyfins14Valued MemberMember

Yeah I hear hornwort is crazy fast :) But I find anacharis is really quick too. People say it does well in cool temps, but mine's thriving in a tropical betta tank. So I suggest anacharis too :D

16. BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

Water Sprite is another excellent low light easy beginnner plant, mine survived solely on guppy waste and very low light, and thrived. Its also renowned for soaking up ammonia. My guppies seemed to really enjoy exploring the branch system, kinda like a guppy jungle gym.

17. LucyModeratorModerator Member

Posts have been deleted.
    Leafray

Please start your own threads.
    This one is Captainhpwdy73's

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice