29 Gallon Finally Ready To Add More Fish

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by HappiestCamper, Apr 9, 2017.

1. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamperWell Known MemberMember

So I got help from you wonderful people MONTHS ago on a great stocking list. Well money got tight and housing unstable but we FINALLY bought a house!
    Anyway I'm ready to continue stocking my tank but want to make some changes.

It's 30 gallon, planted and currently holds:
    1 lonely cherry shrimp(all the moving was tough on the little guys)
    5 lemon tetras
    1 wood shrimp
    1 electric blue ram.

I know I want to add more shrimp both some cherry and a bamboo shrimp
    And in my original stocking we came up with we also had a honey gourami.

Which bottom dweller would you do?
    And what would you do as a second school/shoal?

Also I LOVE kuhlis but my boyfriend putting them in his tank which happens to be in the same room so :/

2. Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Is it a 29 or 30 gallon? there is a big difference in dimensions :)

I would definitely add a shoal of 8-12(depends on fish) of kuhlis or corys.

As far as additional fish, that is kind of hard since it is what you like :). If your LFS is near I suggest taking a trip and seeing what they have and then jot down on a piece of paper or phone what you like. Then come back here and report back which kind of fish you like and we will help see which fish you can add!

3. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

I would personally do sterbai cory for bottom dweller

As for second schooling fish, I'd do rummynose tetras

4. OP
    OP
    HappiestCamper

1491802742686.png this was my original plan. but now my bf is doing the kuhlis so I want to do corys or something even though the kuhlis are SO cool.
    I have black sand and I would like some color, maybe something other than red which is why I'm looking to possibly replace the rummys in the plan.

Side note, I only started a new thread because it wouldn't let me comment on my old one

5. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

I would swap the bolivian ram for a GBR in that plan
    Albino cories would look cool on black substrate.
    Instead of the rummy noses you could have ember tetras, harlequin rasboras or cardinal tetras.

6. OP
    OP
    HappiestCamper

I already switched it, the blue ram (electric blue and German blue are the same right ?) already lives in the tank. I feel like set this thread up half asleep so I'm sorry for any confusion.

I was hoping for something instead of red for my second school but thank you for the suggestions! I feel like red is an abundant color in freshwater, expecially in my tank with my red cherry shrimp and the bamboo shrimp usually turn pretty red too. Not to mention my mopani wood with red tones.

Would the Albinos be temp compatible?

Thanks again

7. BottomDweller

Cool, yeah same thing

Diamond tetras maybe?

Albino cories would be temperature compatible but you'd have to swap them for the kuhlis.

8. OP
    OP
    HappiestCamper

Right, the idea was to sub the kuhlis for something because they'll be in another tank in the same room (my bf has barbs and we've been told for the most part kuhlis are the main bottom dweller that will be left alone by them, also were going to see how the kuhlis go before I buy my bottom dwellers so they can go in my tank if needed)

I Googled the diamonds and my lemons are already kind of a muted color, I just noticed the Cardinal suggestion though. I think I'll look a little more into that, I just want more color in the tank.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  9. vikingkirken

vikingkirkenWell Known MemberMember

Green neon tetras could work, too. Or purple harlequin rasboras, if you can find them.

I agree with the previous poster about sterbai cories! They would add some great pattern to your tank.

10. OP
    OP
    HappiestCamper

[​IMG]

Today is cleaning day but here is the tank currently

Just feels big and empty and I love my lemons but they don't add a ton of color. So I guess I'm asking for the most colorful fish you can think of without including live bearers or the glofish brand fish. That would be temp compatible.

Definitely needs a second colorful school or something!

Also I have a hard time finding good info on corys as far as temp compatibility. If anyone with more expirence could add to which ones do okay in warmer water? Other than kuhlis and Corys is there anything that would work well?
    So far I've been told albino would work.

I'm open to suggestions and my lfs has pretty much everything and if they don't have it they can get it!

Thanks again!

(Recap so no one has to scroll back) currently holds:
    5 lemons
    1 blue ram
    1 cherry Shrimp
    1 wood Shrimp

Potential planned additions:
    -1 honey gourami
    -More cherry shrimp*definitely adding more of these next paycheck while my ram is still very small so they have a chance to grow
    -Bamboo shrimp

(I've also considered a freshwater pom pom crab but it'll probably be something I just put in my 5 gallon when I set it up, any opinions on that?)

And if kuhlis don't work out in my bfs tank they will be pulled and placed in mind instead of corys.

11. vikingkirken

vikingkirkenWell Known MemberMember

I would add a dark background to your tank; the fish will pop more with that.

12. OP
    OP
    HappiestCamper

Funnily enough I already have one I just haven't put it on! I think you are probably very right, I forgot I have beige walls at the new house so the lemons blend in more! I will do that and repost thanks!!

Edit* it's officially added but I cleaned so the waters murky, I'll post a picture tomorrow but would still appreciate ideas before then!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  13. BottomDweller

Albino, bronze and sterbai cories all do well in warmer water

14. DutchMutch

DutchMutchNew MemberMember

15. OP
    OP
    HappiestCamper

Thank you!!!!

I already have one?

I could still use some input/ideas, we are going today after my guy gets off work

I just saw your post! I think my app is having troubles, I'll look into those thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2017
  16. BottomDweller

I would also add a couple more lemon tetras

17. OP
    OP
    HappiestCamper

[​IMG]

It's still a little cloudy but I added the background,

I think I do want to add a couple more lemons I was kind if waiting to see what else I think I want to add to decide how many lemons

18. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

What are the dimensions?

19. OP
    OP
    HappiestCamper

It's a standard 29. Sorry for any mix up

After a trip to the lfs I'm even more unsure of what to add. I just want something colorful that will pop against all my black.

And now I can't decide between albino corys and kuhli loaches either

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  20. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I'd go with the kuhli loaches.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice