29 gallon cube

1. Fishboy123 Member Member

Could I stock any African cichlids in this size tank? Also how often would I do water changes and how long for Africans? Could anyone give me a stocking list?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Yes and no, if its a grow out tank for fry you can do most types of cichlids until they have to go into main tank. A 29g is too small for a main African Cichlid tank, and the smallest tank I'd recommend them in is a 55g. I've heard people even recommend a 75g minimum!

You could definitely house Shell-Dwellers though, the can be housed in a tank as small as 10g. I've always wanted to get some and I think a 29g would be a fairly good sized tank for them. Someone else who keeps these fish would have to point you in the direction of stocking, W/C's, water conditions, habitat, etc....

Here is a little reading on them
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_dwellers

Here is a picture of a male shell dweller
    Lamprologusstappersimalemcl.jpg

3. Fishboy123 Member Member

I was thinking shell dwellers but I can't find anyone that sells them

4. Slug Well Known Member Member

I was going to suggest shell dwellers as well. You may also look into some of the West Africans.

5. Fishboy123 Member Member

I was really liking the shell dweller idea, but I don't know where to buy them. But what are west african cichlids?

6. WiFi Well Known Member Member

A different type of African Cichlid, I think there is about 14 Dwarf species not sure about this but the most common of West African Cichlids would be the Kribensis (Pelvicachrmis pulcher).

If your LFS or LPS doesn't stock them, there are always a few options such as ordering off of the internet. I've had very good luck with mailed fish.