29 Gallon Crayfish Tank

1. Cowfish928

Cowfish928 Valued Member Member

Hello! I just wanted to share my newest project, a 29 Gallon aquarium housing a Red Crayfish, a Blue Crayfish, and a White one. So far they are getting along, no issues. Any opinions on something I can build for them? Like to hide in? I want them to feel safe in their own territory. Anyway, thanks! :)

[​IMG]

2. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Crayfish love to hide. They love to burrow. They love to climb. They love to uproot and tear up plants.

My suggestions: use some live, floating plants. They will make your tank less stark looking, and stay safe from the crays.

Provide a few hollow logs or other additional hides, because they like to mix up where home is occasionally.

Make sure the area at the top around the filter tube is completely secure to prevent escapes. Because they will.

You might want to consider a plant photo background to make your tank seem less stark, since it can't be planted. Closing off one side may help the crays feel less exposed, so they come out more often.

Get them a moss ball or two. They might destroy it, but they're just as likely to spend time moving it around the tank. Which gives them something to do and you may find amusing.

Fun critters. Enjoy them!

3. OP
    OP
    Cowfish928

Cowfish928 Valued Member Member

I have a glass lid for the Aquarium, don't worry about them escaping! Ok I will make a backround for the Aquarium for sure. Moss balls sounds great as well. I changed up the filtration to an Aquaclear 110 because they are messy eaters, Hahaha. So now they definitely have better filtration. I will go purchase some nice decoration that they can call home, I will definitely keep you updated with everything I do on this Aquarium. Thanks for all the suggestions! :D maggie thecat

4. theautumnstorm

theautumnstorm New Member Member

Don't know how big they are, but as crayfish mature they might start fighting. :/