29 Gallon community tank Question 

RegisG

Reaction score
I'm setting up first aquarium tank after 40 year break (29 gal). I have a variety of live plants and am working/waiting through cycle.
Here is my fish plan:
2 Angle fish
2 Dwarf gourami
4 Cardinal tetras
1 Siamese algae-eater
1 Cherry Shrimp

Thoughts? Angles will be small about 1/2 dollar size.
Tips appreciated as I have pretty much forgotten what I knew 40 years ago.

Thanks
Regis

AKFishkeeping14

Reaction score
Welcome back! Its great to see new people joining Fish Lore. I would not put the gouramis and angel fish together because the angels will nip at the gouramis and vice versa. From what I know angel fish should be in a 50 gallon up so your stalking might do better if you take out the angels and add a few more cardinal tetras.

Also watch out,your shrimp might become a snack for any of your fish that is always a risk.

Keep us updated on the rest of your new tank adventure!

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would do 1 Angelfish, more cardinal tetras, maybe 12.
Skip the shrimp as it will be eaten. The SAE may get too big, but I don't know for sure.

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Skip the angels, SAE, and one of the gourami.

RegisG

Reaction score
Appreciate the tips and will probably go the angle and more tetra route.

Thanks,
Regis

TWiG87

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
RegisG said:

Thanks,
Regis
That will make a good looking tank.

JettsPapa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
RegisG said:

Thanks,
Regis
Good plan. Rummy nose tetras would be a good option in case you want to reconsider the cardinals.

tum0r

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If you want to do cherry shrimp you need to provide a ton of plants and hides, and you'd need more than one, maybe ten of them? Can I suggest a bushynose pleco rather than the SAE?

tnrsmomma

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oops, just saw you decided to go with Angels. Dunno how to delete my comment so I'll just throw on this "ETA" instead. ;)

I have a 29. Currently stocked with 7 zebra danios, 7 corydoras and 10 kuhli loaches and 1 tiny juvenile bristlenose pleco. I plan on adding either a male blue or dwarf gourami and 3 more corydoras. I'm afraid I dont have hands on experience yet with any of the fish you want to get except for the cardinals. For those, I would agree that you should get at least 6. 8 - 15 would be a nice number depending how many of the bigger fish you end up stocking and what your filtration is like. While researching the gouramis most everything I've read said a single fish is best unless the tank is closer to a 55 gallon for a group of them. That's what made me decide to only get one for now. This will be my first time having a gourami. This tank really needs a larger, slower moving centerpiece fish to balance out all the scattered fast movement from the danios. I finally get to buy it next week! so excited! My favorite clean up crew are corydoras and nerite snails. This is my first time stocking a pleco. He/she and the nerite snails just graduated quarantine yesterday. I was so focused on slowly adding the rest of the fish when I first set this tank up I didnt get around to buying snails. It's been running near a window for 3 months now so they and the pleco have some catch up work to do on the green algae. Lol

jake37

Well Known Member
Reaction score
What do you plan on doing with the angel in 7 or 8 months when it is no longer small ? I had a pair of blacks angels in my 29 for 7 months. Sadly their growth was not stunted and finally i relented and moved them to a larger tank. Yea they could live in the 29 but it was painfully obviously too small for them (not to mention they constantly splashed me when i fed them).

RegisG

Reaction score
Again, I appreciate all the comments. jake37, are there angle varieties that would not grow too large?

jake37

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Pterophyllum leopoldi - I've only read about them but my understanding they are rarely found and when found they are wild caught and require very strict environment in order to survive. No clue why they are not found in the hobby - perhaps because they are not as stunning.
--
Also while smaller they are pretty aggressive. Probably not the best fish for a passive tankmate.

Inner10

Valued Member
Reaction score
A big angel will eat a cherry shrimp, plus one cherry you will never see, you need 5-10 of them. Instead put in a couple Amanos.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom