29 Gallon Community Tank

Bogart16

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi guys,

I recently upgraded one of my 10 gallons to a 29 gallon. I'm trying my hand at live plants for the first time.

I laid down some organic potting soil capped with black sand and have about half a dozen low light plants I'm currently attempting to grow.

As for fishes, there's 9 glofish tetras and 6 spotted Cory catfish. Side note: how much should I be feeding the corys? They're getting omega one sinking shrimp pellets.

The next plan is to get 2 honey gourami, though I might take that down to 1.

I think the tank will be well stocked at that point, but I'm also debating adding one more small group of schooling fish. Any recommendations or thoughts against it?

Pictures to come later.

Thanks!

Al913

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The tetras that you have are skirt tetras! I suggest you go to the fish store and browse around the tanks and find what you like !

I would up the cories to 8!

Bogart16

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
DKtI1O6.jpg

Here's not a great view of the current tank set up. It sits in the one corner of the living room and the only way to get a decent pic is to basically stand on the chaise part of our couch.

The super color plastic plants are going to be pulled out as soon the real ones in front start growing enough to trim and replant.

The big rock in the front left and the blue plastic one are helping hide this small volcano with bubble stone I've had since I started keeping fish. I refuse to get rid of it, but it looks kinda ridiculous in this tank. So...it's hidden.

I'm working on getting a QT tank up this week so I can go this weekend and get the honey gouramis.

Attachments

Al913

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nice tank! But definitely will look nicer when the fake are replaced with real!

Bogart16

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nice tank! But definitely will look nicer when the fake are replaced with real!
Thanks!

Agreed. The fake ones and the volcano came from the old tank. I tossed them in only for any good bacteria that might be on them, as well as to provide a little extra hiding space for the fish.

Bogart16

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I pulled the old tank out of storage and got everything set up for a QT tank.

I went on an adventure to the only LFS in the area that isn't a national chain. It was an interesting experience. Very dark, very old building. You wouldn't realize it was an aquarium shop unless you had the address. All their stock looked super healthy so I can get past the creepy factor. They didn't have the honey gouramis currently in stock that I wanted. They were running a tetra sale so I grabbed 7 neon tetras. They'll sit in QT for 2 weeks and hopefully the honeys will be in stock then. At that point the tank will be fully stocked.

The main tank has come down with a bout of ich. It's not too severe and I caught it super early on Tuesday. About 5 of the skirt tetras have some spots on them. 1 of them has 5 or 6 spots on their skirt but the other 4 only have 1 or 2 spots. I bought a new Aqueon adjustable heater. It's cranked all the way up but max temp it's reaching is 84.5-85. Hopefully that's warm enough to clear it up. I have meds if I need to dose the tank. No one is acting super sick and have been happily swimming around and have huge appetites.

Good news though, I had shelves cut for the tank stand. I have a Brooklyn metal stand from Petco. It's great for the price, but has nowhere to store anything. Painted the shelves black and sealed the wood. Used some L brackets and command strips to hold the shelf up. I didn't want to drill into the metal in case it caused stability issues. Eventually, I'd like to get some wood cut to put paneling on the metal stand and hide it completely.

IMG_1319.JPG

Bogart16

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Everyone's ich looks cleared up! No more spots. I'm going to leave the heat up for another 4 or 5 days, but no losses and no one acted remotely sick.

The neons in the QT tank are looking good. No signs of disease yet.

I did some rearranging in the tank tonight. Got a few more pieces of lava rock, a bottle, and plants to add in. I took out the large gray piece and the plastic plants. The water hadn't settled before the tanks lights went off tonight, but I'm going to take new pictures later this week once I get the loose plant bits out of the tank.

Bogart16

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
New tank layout pic!. The water isn't super clear since I was moving things around and it was after feeding time. I'm also getting 5-6 more plants on Saturday that will help fill in the extra spaces. Though, the anacharis is growing crazy fast and I might be able to start cutting off pieces soon.

V29xnLo.jpg

I like to think it looks like part of a river/pond in a rock quarry. The precarious looking pile of rocks on the left isn't unstable at all, don't worry. The wood actually goes pretty far back underneath the rocks and is supporting the upper ones. I gave everything a solid shake test and nothing moves.

Bogart16

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Got my new plants! They look so good. Moved the anacharis to the back of the tank during my replanting over the weekend.

Neons are still looking good. They've been in QT for a little over a week now. No funny bumps or discolorations and I'm hoping it stays that way.

I just fed the fish for the evening and the skirt tetras are ravenous. The fish flakes don't last 15 seconds once they hit the water. The cory pellets last a little longer, but "Big Blue"- the lone blue tetra- likes to grab the shrimp pellets and suck on them like a giant cigar. I might try to start feeding the corys at lights out, but once the tetra food hits the water, the corys go into hyper mode looking for food too.

Bogart16

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think the heat turned up high killed the anacharis. It's either that or the move to the back of the tank. It's looking wilty and the leaves are transparent. Before, it was growing like crazy.

I moved the 3 remaining pieces up near the front of the tank again. I've started to turn down the heat since I'm comfortable saying the ich should be done with. Not sure if it'll be enough to save the plants. Everything else in the tank is still green and looking healthy.

Bogart16

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
One very sad looking piece of anacharis remaining. I'm going to get some more and try again since everything else is looking healthy. I'm thinking of putting a few stems into the 10 gallon too...hoping that it will out compete the algae I'm constantly wiping off the big rocks.

I put the neons into the 29 gallon yesterday. I decided a QT of 2 weeks was plenty. The LFS has a good QT process and I felt comfortable after 2 weeks here without issue that they'd be fine. So far, so good. They hid back by the heater most of last night, but today have been swimming around unafraid.

I went back to the LFS today and came home with 2 golden honey gouramis. They did have any of the standard variety in stock, but these are a lovely yellow/gold color. They're in the QT tank right now, but I haven't gotten a great look at them since putting them in. They've been hiding behind the terra cotta pot most of the day.

I did also get some polyester fiber fill to put in the filter on the 29. I've noticed it looks like....dust particles? are constantly floating on the top of the tank water. We do have a very furry lab/boxer mix and a cat, so I wouldn't be shocked if it's dander or dust. Hoping that the filter floss will help remove some if it.

Bogart16

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
4 hours later and I'm done with fish related things for the day.

I decided the dirt wasn't working for me. I'm terrible at planting plants and dirt went flying anytime something came loose or I had to replant something. I went out and bough some BDBS after work on Monday and cleaned 3/4ths of the bag last night.

Today, I drained dumped the fish in a 5 gallon bucket and drained the tank. I managed to save some of the sand that was capping the dirt, but most of the sand and dirt went right into the trash. I redid the whole substrate with BDBS and use some Osmocote for root tabs. I spent a fun 20 minutes trying to remember how I had the lava rocks stacked.

A couple of the plants had the start of BBA so before I replanted them, I did a quick hydrogen peroxide dip.

Everyone's back in the tank now and the water's clearing up. I moved the 2 honey gouramis from QT to the main tank. Today was day 13 of my usual 14 day QT and since I already had to put all the fish back in, I added them in too.

All that's left to do now is take the bag of discarded dirt out to the dumpster and toss the towels I had on the floor in the wash. Once the tank has settled down, I'll post some pics of the new look.

Bogart16

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Here's an updated tank pic I promised. haha. I took this a few days ago. Phone camera doesn't do it justice.

UOGYmyQ.jpg

I did my daily tank inspection today and noted that the female honey has one of her feelers broken. It's about half as long as it was before. No one else in the tank looks beaten up and her fins are fine. I can't tell if it was accidental injury or bullying. I did do some plant pruning and a water change yesterday, but nothing else has changed in the tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom