29 Gallon Cichlid Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Nichole Bearden, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Nichole Bearden

Nichole BeardenNew MemberMember

What is the best substrate for a 29 gallon cichlid tank, with an undergravel filter and 2 power heads?
    What would be the best plants for cichlids?
    And anything else that would be good for a cichlid tank please?

2. Ed204

Ed204Well Known MemberMember

Hi there,
    What cichlids are you going to add? Africans or Americans? Africans in general should have an aquascape of all rock, except the tanganikan shell dwellers who should have an aquascape of multiple shells.

American cichlids on the other hand can have an aquascape of caves, driftwood, fake plants and anything else that would serve as a hiding spot.

Both should have a substrate of sand IMO.

Cichlids don't really do well with plants, but it depends what kind you are talking about. African cichlids and bigger American cichlids don't do well with plants because the plants won't survive with the Africans and the American cichlids will eat them or uproot them. But if you're talking about fish like Kribensis (African), Apistograma (American), FireMouth (American), KeyHole (American), Angelfish (American) and some other decently sized cichlids they should do fine with plants.

3. OP
    OP
    Nichole Bearden

We haven't decided yet on what kind we want. My husband is thinking all cichlids from one area. We want extremely colorful, but haven't decided on what region.

4. Ed204

Ed204Well Known MemberMember

Hmm Okay. You're tank is only a 29 gallon so I don't think you could do any Mbuna Cichlids. How about you do one of the dwarf American cichlids like an Apistogramma? And then you could have a school of colorful fish in with him or or her.
    Neon Tetras perhaps?

5. vikingkirken

vikingkirkenWell Known MemberMember

Is there a reason you're using an undergravel filter? They are a pain IME. I'd recommend choosing a hang-on-back instead. If you're set on the undergravel one, you will need to use gravel, not sand, for your substrate.

6. OP
    OP
    Nichole Bearden

It's my husbands tank and he is set on the undergravel system, trust me I have tried.
    Thank you so much for the info.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice