29 Gallon Centerpiece Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jman2453

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I have a cycled 29 gallon tank. I am finally after all most 2 months able to add fish. Luckily I live near a local fish store, they take really good care of their fish.

This week I have added 6 - Harlequin rasbora and 4 - Julii Cories. They are doing really well together. Both types of fish were nervous for about 12 hours and now they are so active, it's great.

But the problem I am having is in my decision for a centerpiece fish. I can't decide between a pair of Bolivian Rams or German Rams. I know that Bolivians are supposed to be hardy, slightly larger, and develop great color over time. Germans Rams, are slightly smaller, little more picky about water, but are more colorful at a younger age.

Basically I'm looking for a hardy fish, but want to make sure as a centerpiece fish that they are striking in color. Any help in this decision would be amazing. Because the local store said they would love to order those fish for me (When they do their weekly order), but they don't regularly carry them in the store so I can't look in person.

OP
J

Jman2453

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a dawrf G in my 10 gallon tank with a few tetras. While I do like the DG, the 29 is in the living room and I keep reading that DG don't like loud noises.

Angels I don't think would do good in a community. I read bad stories about them with the small fish I have.

I do plan to add 1 or 2 more Cory. They were just having a big julii sell (1.50 each) and I got all that they had till next week.

Last edited:

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can also look into Apistos. They come in a few different color varieties. I'm not sure about their hardiness, but they are another dwarf cichlid that is said to do well in a community set up. Don't completely write off angels from your plans though. There are a number of members here who successfully keep Angels with smaller fish like neons. I believe the trick is to add the angels last so that they don't have a chance to get too territorial with the other fish and also to get the angels while they are very young and have a chance to grow up with the other schooling fish. There are also gouramis you could try other than the DG. I've seen several recommendations (from Lucy I believe) for the thick lipped gourami, which my readings say is a pretty hardy fish.

angelfish220

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Pearl gouramis are really pretty too. I would go with german blue rams, I had one a long time ago, and it was a really cool fish and wasn't picky at all.

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If those are you two favorites, I'd go with the Bolivians unless you're absolutely sure your water is (and will remain) pristine.

I have an opaline gourami in the 29gal in my son's room and he's absolutely gorgeous. Maybe not as colorful as some other fish, but he's beautiful and very personable. It also helps that his tiger barb tank mates are terrified of him.

I wouldn't recommend angels for anything less than a 40gal tall tank. They get to be 6" long and 9-10" tall and need a lot of vertical swimming space. As far as them being okay with smaller fish, I've read both ways. I think if the angels started out with smaller fish when they were younger, they'd probably be okay with the smaller fish when they got older. The main time you'd have a problem would be if you got a breeding pair as they tend to be vey aggressive with ANYTHING when they're spawning.

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I considered angels in my 29g for a "centerpiece" fish but even apart from any possible fin nipping/community tank problems, I think that they just get way too big for a 29g. And I, anyway, don't have another larger tank to rehome them to. I finally decided on GBRs and acclimated a beautiful female GBR just a few days ago. No issues with water quality or anything yet, and hopefully it will stay that way!

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can also look into Apistos. They come in a few different color varieties. I'm not sure about their hardiness, but they are another dwarf cichlid that is said to do well in a community set up. Don't completely write off angels from your plans though. There are a number of members here who successfully keep Angels with smaller fish like neons. I believe the trick is to add the angels last so that they don't have a chance to get too territorial with the other fish and also to get the angels while they are very young and have a chance to grow up with the other schooling fish. There are also gouramis you could try other than the DG. I've seen several recommendations (from Lucy I believe) for the thick lipped gourami, which my readings say is a pretty hardy fish.
Good thought! I love apistos. Just to clarify, I wanted to point out that there are many distinct species of apistogramma available in the hobby, not just the cockatoo cichlid (a. cacatuoides). For some of the species, like cacatuoides and agassizi, there are selectively-bred color variants available. For others, you can find naturally-occurring regional variants of the same species; for example, a. agassizi "alenquer". I'm a big fan of any apistos and I currently have 4 species that I'm keeping.

Sammyboi1993

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Personally i would say GBR iv got a pair and i love them, the colour on them is amazing and they have been in my new tank for about 4 months and they have adapted fine.

potatos

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would go with Pearl gouramis or GBR. i have both in my tank, bit the pearls are bigger, and act more like a centerpiece. they are also less shy, and less sensitive than GBRs. they are always the first for food, and seem to open their mouths and cerate a vortex sucking everything in. they are peaceful as well. i think mine ate my diatoms off my plants leaves too, although i have never herd of this happening. the male pearl has a blue green sheen that is not apparent in photos, and a red breast. his white spots make a striking contrast with the dark silver backround

My GBR is moodier and more agressive, and wants pristine water conditions. but if you are willing to keep the water very clean and can find good quality ones, they are awsome too. they are not hardy, as you said you wanted, but full of personality and have flamboyant reds, yellows, and blues, the females get a purple belly.

I had a small angle, and he had a fantastic personality, but killed several neon tetras, and was later killed by my GBR. he followed me around the room, and was curious in whatever i was doing. they do get big, which will leave less room for other fish. in a 29, i would only get one, because they get territorial when mature. they come in many colour variations.

dwarf gouramis are fantasticly colured, but smaller then the pearls. they are also prone to a desiese that seems to be killing many of them. They come in several coulor strains as well, but my personal favorite is the original orange and blue strain

any of those three are great, and would work depending on what you want

Last edited:

Sammyboi1993

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Kribs are Good also, They have fantastic colour and are very active. However if you get a pair they will get agressive when spawning witch can lead to the death of some fish or when the fry hatch their may be some parental agression witch could lead to the death of a parent.

rae64

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I adore my pearl gourami. He is gorgeous, gets along great with the other fish, and is such a sweetheart!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom