29 gallon aquarium

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I think the total fish list will make your tank a bit overstocked. Don't know how large cory catfish grow, but I presume they're small? Around 2 inches? And do you mean the Flying Fox? This is a good algae eater for a 30 gallon tank, and it should grow to around 5" in length. If I were you, I'd eliminate one or two group of fish from your list, so that it's not overstocked. Also, I wouldn't add any fish to the tank until the tank is cycled. You can cycle it fishless adding, for example, fish food to feed the tank. Then once it's cycled, you should start stocking GRADUALLY, adding only few fish at a time. If you add too many fish at once, you may get a sudden ammonia or nitrite spike.

OP
Stradius011

Stradius011

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Okay, I made a new list.

After Cycled:
3 corys
3 cherry barbs

1week later
3 sword tails

another week later
1 mystery snail
2 Dwarf Gouramis

Another week later
6 neon tetras

Is that better or should I eliminate more?

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
No, this is not overstocked It should be fine Actually, you can make it 4 or 5 Cherry Barbs as they like to be in groups. I presume cories grow to about 2 inches? Also, do cories eat algae? Because I see you've eliminated the algae eater. Once you start getting a lot of algae and you won't have an algae eater, you'll probably want to get one to clean the algae. And it will be difficult if your tank will be already fully stocked. Anyway, do cories eat algae? (Sorry, I really know very little about these fish.)

Tamara

Reaction score
my albino cory catfish does NOT touch any algea...he just eats some of the poo, and most of the left over food.
I don't know if he's just weird or what? but he will not touch any algea.
so I got a bristlenosed pleco<--he's fantastic. ;D

emm

Reaction score
I have a cory. He eats at night so I'm not really sure what he eats other than the food that ends up at the bottom of the tank... but I've never had algae

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
Cory cats don't eat algae. They eat whatever is on the bottom of the tank (i.e. flake food, algae wafers, earthworm sticks, etc.) They also love those tubifex worms which usually come in cubes that you stick against the glass. Place one just above the gravel and watch them go! Don't feed them this more than once or twice a week though. They are very fatty and messy

New Threads