29 Gallon Aquarium Bottom

baseballlover

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 29 freshwater aquarium with black and red gravel. I like the look of the white saltwater sand, but is it compatible with a freshwater aquarium?

I am sort of new to the aquarium thing, so any help is welcomed.

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fishlore

I don't have any info for you saltwater sand. But I am sure someone will be along shortly to help you out.

baseballlover

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok. Thanks.

Amano

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
No it has irritants in the sand which bother fresh water fish from what I can understand.

Pool filter sand or sand from rivers is okay.

mac

ExiledxAssassin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
First off weclome to Fishlore!

I wouldn't use Saltwater sand, but there are other types of sands out there that you can use as others mentioned... Right now I have Play Sand [From Wal-Mart] in my 30 gallon [29.9G] and it is perfectly fine.

IMO, I wouldn't use sand from the river as it could have bad stuff in it (Oil, Gas, etc.)

chrisb01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can use sand with freshwater. You must wait for it to settle.

Jake the Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Just use regular sand like pool sand as other members have said. You could also go to your LFS and hopefully they'll give you some help. If you want fish that need a high pH then use Crushed Coral, it looks like sand but raises pH.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Many marine sands are safe for freshwater use. It says so on the bag.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I have merged your two threads. Please only create 1 thread per topic.
Thanks!
Ken

Amano

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I am speaking of river sand in the such as most people tend to have enough sense to get the sand from clean places.

But in NZ most rivers are clean only near towns they get slightly dirty.

mac

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I have Play Sand in one of my tanks. Picked up a 25 pound bag for less than $10.

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI baseballlover,

Your best bet is to get pool filter sand. Its very clean and fine smooth grains. You can get it at places like Home Depot or Lowes, or at a pool supply store. I got mine at Meijer's, a 50lb bag for $8.99. I've switched 2 of my tanks over to it and my 3rd tank I just did half gravel and half sand.

rileyrk190

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What you want to stay away from is aragonite sand or crushed coral sand, because they contain things that raise the pH, alkalinity, and calcium levels. I would go with pool filter sand or sand that you can purchase from a pet store for freshwater tanks. Even if it says it's pre-rinsed go ahead and rinse it again to get any sediment out. If you go with play sand you need to rinse this very, very well. I don't recommend it if you have things that will stir the sand a lot, but I had a bad experience with it..though others use it very successfully. If you are thinking down the line you want to add live plants, a fluorite based sand might be for you because it has the look of Saltwater sand with its larger grains and it comes in a couple color choices. If you go with this I recommend eco-complete but it will be on the pricier side. Hope this helps!

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Amano said:
I am speaking of river sand in the such as most people tend to have enough sense to get the sand from clean places.

But in NZ most rivers are clean only near towns they get slightly dirty.

mac
Must be nice. With many of the rivers around here, we don't even eat the fish we catch in them.

baseballlover

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello all,
Thanks for all the replies. I personally like the look of salt water sand, or the very fine grained white sand. I was looking at Petsmart online last night and it said that the salt water sand I was looking at was perfect for African Cichlids. I have two of these. Would it be ok to use this sand?

Alienator064

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years

baseballlover

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Explanation?

potatos

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
African chiclids love a high PH, and if it says it is perfict for them, it may have coral in it or something that will alter the PH. Many tropical fish, especially those from south america (rams, tetras, angelfish) like soft, acidic water, not a high PH. If it says it won't alter the water chemistry, I don't see why it would be a problem though. and if you want african chiclids then it would be fine of course

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
If you were to post a link to the specific product you are considering, I'm sure there is someone on this forum who has experience with it and can help with your decision.

baseballlover

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This is the link to the salt water sand I have been looking at.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads