29 gal, tankmates for BN Pleco

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Firefly's Love, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Firefly's Love

Firefly's Love Valued Member Member

I recently had to break down my 29 gal completely in order for it to be moved out of the kitchen for new floors and such. It's been about two weeks, and I finally, today, set it back up with a brand spanking new (pool filter) sand substrate. It was formerly a betta sorority, and after three years and three sets of lady bettas, I'm ready for something different. The two left that survived the move will either be rehomed or live in one of my smaller, unused tanks. For now, the pleco and the plants are living in a 10 gallon, and my filter media is living in the pond outside.

My intention is to set it back up using only live plants and real rocks, and to, at some point, source driftwood for Peter (the pleco). He's about 4 inches long right now and spends most of his days inside the log, and has never shown much aggression toward his lady betta tank mates unless they got too close to him while he was eating, and even then it was only to scare them off. As for plants, I have several very healthy java ferns, a new water wisteria that looks promising, and what I think is some kind of sword. Mostly the Java ferns. The filter is, I believe since I've had it a while and the box is long gone, a Marineland Penguin Power Filter 200. It might be the 150, but I'm pretty sure I would've gone for the slightly larger one.

I'm interested in low-maintenance fish who aren't aggressive, and if at all possible, are "cute". As a request from my family, no "ugly" fish, because Peter freaks my mom out, and it's "a good thing he spends most of his time in the log". I got him for algae cleaning, but I keep him because he's my favourite fish ever. (Well aside from my first betta.) A long time ago, in my very first tank, I kept a single panda cory with that same betta, and I really liked that fish. I realize now it was a completely inappropriate environment, alone, in gravel, in a 14 gallon. I was wondering if I could keep cories in the tank with a pleco. Interactive fish would also be cool, since I've seen mollies do funny things in the store. I don't really want livebearers, though, because I don't want to deal with fry.

I really don't know what I want, other than that they have to get along with Peter, and no livebearers. Cories if possible, but I won't be heartbroken if they're not feasible with Peter. (And, for what it's worth, despite the name and pronouns I use, I'm pretty sure Peter's actually female.) I do like more torpedo shaped fish than fish shaped like, say, bleeding heart tetras. (But not zebra danios or Glofish. I'm not a big fan of those.) Finally, I'd like to get fish that are mostly inexpensive, and easy to source. My LFS isn't exactly the most reputable, and I'm likely going to be going to PetCo, because the two local to me are good with their fish (I was just in there today and there are big "no bowl!" signs all over the goldie tanks).

I was looking at some kind of small gourami, like a honey, but no definite plans. I'd like a school or two, Peter, and a "centerpiece" fish.

2. elliot5445

elliot5445 Well Known Member Member

Imo not much bothers with any plecos, I have cories and tetras with my two bns and they get along fine. Heres a stocking idea (I'm probably way off with overstocking, but here goes);

6 cories
    6 cherry barbs
    Possibly 1 dwarf gourami, correct me if that wont work

Hope this helps!

3. bettamars

bettamars Valued Member Member

I would get a large school of harlequin rasboras (8-12 maybe)

A school of 6 cories, to not put too many on the bottom.

And a honey or dwarf gourami

Along with Peter :)

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

What kind of pleco do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. OP
    OP
    Firefly's Love

Peter's a bristlenose. I'm fairly certain he's fully grown. He hasn't gotten much bigger over the past year or so.

6. Dom90

Good, then he can fit well in a 29g. Was afraid you had gotten a common and would outgrow the tank.

7. OP
    OP
    Firefly's Love

There were a couple of times I thought he might be a common, but he looks exactly like every picture of a BN I've ever seen. (Well, female BN. His nose is not very bristle-y.) And he's stayed small despite the two and a half years I've had him.

8. Dom90

Maybe "he" is actually a "she"?

9. OP
    OP
    Firefly's Love

Oh, I'm pretty sure Peter's actually a Petra, but I've been calling the fish "he" and "Peter" for so long I just say he identifies as a boy. (I'm personifying my pleco, I know. But change is hard, so I don't even bother.)

10. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I would do a banded gourami, the BN, 12 cherry barbs and an apisto.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice