29 Gal Sponge Filter Question

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by spike98, Apr 23, 2018.

1. spike98Valued MemberMember

I want to get sponge filters to remove the current that my filters make. I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for corner sponges filters (I would like 2 for each back corner)? I currently have a tetra whisper air pump 10-30 running a long air stone and I was also wondering if this will be big enough to run 2 corner sponge filters?

2. John14:6New MemberMember

Most likely you will need a bigger air pump if you want to run two sponge filters, also I am not sure if 2 sponge filters by themselves will be able to support a 29g. Also what type of fish are you planning on putting in there and whats your current filter?

3. Kevin DennisValued MemberMember

I would recommend adding an inexpensive HOB for mechanical filtration. Their outflows can be baffled. Aquaclears have adjustable flow.

2 sponge filters should cycle the tank but they are poor at mechanical filtration.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  4. spike98Valued MemberMember

I currently have two HOB filters I was just looking at sponge filters to maybe allow me to remove 1 HOB filter help reduce the current they cause in the middle of the tank..

5. John14:6New MemberMember

6. spike98Valued MemberMember

Okay thanks, any recommendations on the sponge filter? I would like one that fits into the corner more flush. So far I have only found one that says it is up to 15 gallons, would it be appropriate to put 1 in each back corner?

7. John14:6New MemberMember

8. FishMichValued MemberMember

Swiss Tropicals makes square sponge filters that would fit in a corner nicely.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice