29 Gal Sponge Filter

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I want to get sponge filters to remove the current that my filters make. I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for corner sponges filters (I would like 2 for each back corner)? I currently have a tetra whisper air pump 10-30 running a long air stone and I was also wondering if this will be big enough to run 2 corner sponge filters?

John14:6

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Most likely you will need a bigger air pump if you want to run two sponge filters, also I am not sure if 2 sponge filters by themselves will be able to support a 29 gallon. Also what type of fish are you planning on putting in there and whats your current filter?

Kevin Dennis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would recommend adding an inexpensive HOB for mechanical filtration. Their outflows can be baffled. Aquaclears have adjustable flow.

2 sponge filters should cycle the tank but they are poor at mechanical filtration.

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I currently have two HOB filters I was just looking at sponge filters to maybe allow me to remove 1 HOB filter help reduce the current they cause in the middle of the tank..

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Then you would probably need only one sponge filter and the air pump you have is fine.

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay thanks, any recommendations on the sponge filter? I would like one that fits into the corner more flush. So far I have only found one that says it is up to 15 gallons, would it be appropriate to put 1 in each back corner?

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would suggest hydro-sponge ii or the iii. Here is a link not sure if you can get it a lfs . You can also get them at that fish place(for like $9-10 cheaper) if you live nearby

FishMich

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Swiss Tropicals makes square sponge filters that would fit in a corner nicely.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom