29 Gal Opinions

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by LyleB, Jan 5, 2013.

1. LyleBWell Known MemberMember

I just moved my 8 Black Neons and 3 Nerite snails from QT to the 29 Gal. That makes the stocking thus far as such:

8 Neon Tetras
    8 Black Neon Tetras
    6 Pygmy Corys
    3 Nerite Snails
    Multiple small pond snails that came compliments of some plants.

I'm off today to see what other small schooling fish I may get Harlequins, Bloodfins and Flame Tetras are up there on the list, but will see what is available. I don't want to leave the QT unstocked for too long. Will probably limit this shoal to 6 as I'm getting pretty close to fully stocked. Maybe a few ghost shrimp to help with clean-up.

I'm considering a pair of German Blue Rams as a centerpeice. I've asked about this before and almost pulled the trigger, but was concerned with the hard, high pH water that I have. I may just go for it and just acclimate very slowly.

Any thoughts today?

2. neofyt05

neofyt05Valued MemberMember

I would say instead of neons go for rummynose tetras and instead of rams go for a single gorgeous angelfish. :)

3. OP
    OP
    L

LyleBWell Known MemberMember

Already have the Neons, and I'm kinda afraid an Angel would chow down on the pygmy corys once they get big.

4. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

You can safely leave the quarantine tank empty for longer than you'd think.

I would up the school sizes of what you have and get a pair of GBRs.

5. OP
    OP
    L

LyleBWell Known MemberMember

Well, I had thought of that as well Jaysee. Maybe that's the way to go. I did take your advice on the Black Neons the last time I posted on this tank. The 8 Black were all the shop had when I bought them.

Maybe I'll get four more Blacks and four more Neons, then keep my eye out for some of the Rams. I keep coming back to them.

Right now, the Black Neons and the Neons are swimming together. They don't seem to be separating. Even my one cory that thinks it's a Neon has joined them.

Thanks Again

6. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

They ought to separate once they feel more comfortable. They will spend most of their time in the top half of the tank.

You could probably squeeze another school in there if you really wanted to. I would go ahead and get the rams, but after that I would wait a while before thinking about adding that 4th school. You might find you don't want it after all.

7. lp89

lp89Valued MemberMember

Another centerpiece suggestion for you to think about - a dwarf gourami.

I've got a 29g and my master stock plan looks like this:
    -1 dwarf gourami centrepiece
    -4 peppered cories
    -6 harlequin rasboras
    -10 neon tetra
    -3 guppies/platys to add colour pops

8. neofyt05

neofyt05Valued MemberMember

IME so many schooling fish in a tank of this size will lead to them not schooling much... Especially neons. So you need something more aggressive to keep them schooling, such as an angel or a gourami. Fully grown angels eat (normal) neons and pygmy cories so it's a no go. So I would say go get a gourami and the rams but no more schooling fish :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice