29 and 20 Gallon stocking

Mouska

Reaction score
I was wondering if there would be be any good tankmates for a planted 29 gallon tank that I’m planning on having as a guppy tank mainly with 6 or more Corydoras catfish.

For the 20 gallon long I was planning on having a pair of kribensis cichlids, and 5 corydoras catfish. Is there any other things that would be good to add to this tank such as dither fish that wouldn’t eat the babies? This tank is also planted and will has lots of caves.

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
For the 29 I think guppies/corydoras mix is fine. I would leave it there.

For the 20 I hear alot of people have kribs who decimate the cories. Maybe look for a different fish that can stand its own, considering that corydoras have no clue what personal space is.

OP
Mouska

Mouska

Reaction score
FinalFins said:
For the 29 I think guppies/corydoras mix is fine. I would leave it there.

For the 20 I hear alot of people have kribs who decimate the cories. Maybe look for a different fish that can stand its own, considering that corydoras have no clue what personal space is.
ive had corydoras and a pair of Kribs in the 29 gallon before and they got along pretty well, there were a few times when the Kribs spawned that they would chase the corys but I never saw any damaged fins on them, and if I do see any damage on any of them I’ll just put them in the 29 gallon.
If there are any better options for the 20 gallon with the kribensis what fish would be good?

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Mouska said:
If there are any better options for the 20 gallon with the kribensis what fish would be good?
What I said was a second-hand report so I can't confirm that all kribs attack cories.. especially in breeding..

I would try to choose something like diamond or lemon tetras or any tetra that has a sense of territory and will stand their ground.

OP
Mouska

Mouska

Reaction score
FinalFins said:
What I said was a second-hand report so I can't confirm that all kribs attack cories.. especially in breeding..

I would try to choose something like diamond or lemon tetras or any tetra that has a sense of territory and will stand their ground.
My old Kribs never attacked any fish while breeding, but I have seen a lot of other people’s Kribs be quite aggressive so if any fish get attacked I’ll probably move those fish to the 29 gallon.
I really like the lemon tetra, would these be good dither fish as well?
Also if anyone has ever kept them do they tend to eat other fishes fry? Are there any similar species?

OP
Mouska

Mouska

Reaction score
FinalFins said:
I imagine the lemons would go after fry. something like pencilfish are known not to go after apisto fry so i would assume they would do well with kribs.
Hopefully I’ll be able to find pencilfish or something similar at the lfs because I don’t usually see them, and they are usually quite expensive. Thanks

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom