29-30g Long Tank For Loaches?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by nbalaw2016, Jul 7, 2019.

1. nbalaw2016

nbalaw2016Valued MemberMember

Hey everyone,

The itch for a second tank is definitely getting to me. Ideally I'd buy a 29/30 hex tank to place near my 45g tall, but I worry about the stress on the floor in that room (It's a small, study-like space). So, the second tank has to go in a large nook in my foyer hallway (I live in a prewar apartment with large open spaces/closets) that has outlets nearby and a closet I can use for aquarium storage. However, the tank has to be clean and visually attractive from all sides, since it'd really be right in my entryway. I'm thinking a long, short tank (30 long, if that size exists?) solely for small loaches, with sand, plenty of driftwood, and fast moving water. I'd use a powerful canister filter as it's less obtrusive than a HOB model, and would otherwise keep decorations to a minimum. No live plants. Does this sound workable?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  2. Zka17

Zka17Valued MemberMember

A tank in your entryway is never a good idea... too much movement around will cause stress in the fish.

Lately I haven't seen 30 gallon long aquariums... maybe from your local craigslist (just make sure that it is suitable for fish).

Do check the loaches profile for the needed surface area...

3. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

I don't see a problem, except that loaches cover a large number of species. For example, for your plans, Khulis or Peppereds would absolutely work. Clowns, no. That's just a few.

4. OP
    OP
    nbalaw2016

Cool, thank you. And sorry, I should have specified--I meant smaller loaches that max out at 4", and no more than six of them with nothing else in the tank.

5. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Some of the hill stream loaches would suit this type of setup, along with a small group of minnows/danios. You may inadvertently find that plants would greatly increase the visual appeal of the tank, whether it's just with mosses, couple of strategically placed anubias/ferns or bucephlandra.

6. OP
    OP
    nbalaw2016

That's exactly what I'm going for. Thanks for the thoughts.

7. OP
    OP
    nbalaw2016

So I couldn't resist and ended up coming home with a 36G bowfront today. It may be a bit short for loaches, at 30" long, but it's a beautiful display tank and will look great with white sand substrate. If anyone has any further thoughts about a loach tank, please feel free to chime in!

8. NC122606

NC122606Well Known MemberMember

You could do Panda Garra.