288 Litre Custom Build

1. Samuel97

Samuel97 Well Known Member Member

So ive finally moved house and got the space for the tank. I've measured up the area I wanted and sent in the dimensions to the tank builder for a quote. My chosen dimensions are 120hx40dx60hcm which makes 288 litres or 76 us gallons. A big upgrade from my two current 20 gals!

MY stocking will include my current fish :

10x albino corydoras
    20x cherry barbs
    4x Honey gourami
    15-25x Amano shrimp

Possible additions post upgrade:

2 x gold angelfish
    or
    2x Keyhole Cichlids
    or
    2x GBR pair

My few questions to start off:

1. Stand suggestions? The stands made by the company thats building the tank are upwards of 1000 pounds ( $1300) which is crazy. Is there other UK palces that do better solutions or any good build your own ideas?

2. Stocking. Any ideas, numbers that could be changed, compatabilities and whether i'm over/ under-stocked?

3. Filters? I currently run sponge filters on one 20gal and HOB on the other so filtration is going to need a serious upgrade!

I'll be updating this as I go along with the project :D

2. OP
    OP
    Samuel97

@tyguy7760 i know your great with cichlids, what would you suggest was betetr out of the three for this size and stock?
    @TexasDomer any stocking thoughts?

3. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Sounds reasonable. I will say that the GBR's probably need warmer water than the amanos would do well in. So I'd probably go with the keyholes or angels

4. OP
    OP
    Samuel97

Ok perfect, I was thinking the angels as long as the size fit them in anyways. Would the keyhole temperament better suit the community or would the gold angels do ok? As two gold angels I think is what im going to prefer.

5. tyguy7760

I think keyholes would probably be the safer bet. But angels should be fine as well. You never know when it comes to cichlids. You could get 2 keyholes and they completely own and demolish the tank (unlikely but possible). Same goes for the angels.

I will say that it's possible any cichlid will not tolerate the amanos.

6. OP
    OP
    Samuel97

My amanos are fairly large, bigger probably than the size of the baby angels my LFS have in stock at the current moment that I intend to buy.

Considering it's a community tank with some slower fish would you suggest two females or a pair @bizaliz3

7. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

Since angelfish are impossible to sex with 100% accuracy without a spawn, it would be kind of hard to pick two females or a pair..... that would be my only concern.

In addition, I have had breeding pairs turn on each other. I have had a pair of males get along well with no females present to compete over. I've had two females together who could not get along. I have also kept females together who do get along. And since pretty much every angel in my house has spawned with somebody at one point I am able to know with 100% accuracy what gender they all are.

I feel very strongly that angelfish cannot be sexed unless you see a spawn. I've been fooled multiple times!!

I'd say just get a couple young ones and let them grow up together and see what happens. Angelfish are completely unpredictable in my experience.

8. tyguy7760

What kind of establishment are you running over there biz?

9. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

Bwahhhaaaaaaaa!!!! You made me laugh out loud at my desk!!

10. tyguy7760

All in a day's work

11. OP
    OP
    Samuel97

Alright thankyou @bizaliz3 ill pick up two of the littl'uns and get going with it! any specific tips for my first ever pair of little gold angelfish?