280 Gallon Tank Question

1. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I have been looking for a new tank for my Oscar, my Bonsai Flowerhorn, a Pleco and two Blood Red Parrots. I found a 280 gallon that I am going to purchase for $300.00? Is that a good deal? The good news is that with this addition, all my fish will get more room to wiggle.

My main concern is buying filtration for it, because it comes with none. Just the tank itself. Any suggesions, that won't cost me an arm and a leg? I figure I will need two, one for each side, at least. I have a small fluval, but that is nowhere near what I am going to need. Any suggestions out there?

Also, am I maxed out on stocking it or could I put in a couple more Blood Parrots?

Thanks for any help you can give me in advance.

Wendy

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning Wendy,

$300 for the 280 is a great price IMO. Too, I think you would have a bit of space for a couple more Bloody Parrots. Let's get more opinions on this before you act.

I don't know that you will be able to find two canister filters that will do the trick for this tank. Personally I would recommend a Wet/Dry or possibly a Sump. Even then, a canister or hang on back filtration may be a good idea too.

I'm currently running 2650 GPH on my 265g tank. Wet/Dry with a Mag 950, 3 Aqua Clear 110's and 1 Aqua Clear 50. (posted in my Aquarium Info)

For such large fish I recommend 10x the tank volume for the Gallons Per Hour (GPH) or more.

Keep us posted! I'm excited for you. I hope you get the 280!

Ken

3. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

I saw 280G and thought KEN (a48) - sorry, nothing related to thread - but it's not often Ken gets a tank his size to help with :p

4. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Sump... no arguments there. In terms of benefit vs price, canisters dont match this size tank. Because you will setup practically another tank, it will work out cheaper that having to get 2 or 3 massive (and expensive canisters. For this stocking, the additional media volume will also be great.

If you would like help on how to make your own sump dont be afraid to contact me.

As for stock. You have space for one more medium sized cichlid or more BP IMO :)

Personally, i wouldnt even consider canisters for that size. Its just too much water to filter effectively, as a prefilter maybe, but not as a primary filter..