26g Community

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by penguin02, Jun 21, 2018.

1. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

I'm going to start making threads for my tanks so I can document their progress! I wish I had done this a while ago... This tank is a year and a half old.

This was day 1. When I first started fishkeeping I had a platy, glofish tetra, balloon molly, and two guppies crammed into that tall 6g tank. The two guppies died before I was done setting up the tank, and the molly died later on. The glofish and platy lived for at least a year after this pic was taken.
    IMG_0797.JPG
    This was right after setup. (panty hose over filter intake to stop fish from getting sucked in until I could upgrade filters) I think it looks ugly, which is why I went for a natural look later on. I think all fishkeepers do that eventually.
    IMG_0814.JPG
    Aaaand.... two disease outbreaks and a lot of mistakes later, we have this! The plastic plants will be replaced with live plants as soon as I get a better light (I couldn't even keep anubias nana alive with this darn thing :( )
    IMG_2596.JPG
    And now for some fish pictures! A few of the pics turned out really nice, which surprised me since my 5s iPhone camera isn't that great. The tank is up against a dark wall, which gives the illusion of a black background if I zoom in enough.

The stocking is:
    1x angelfish
    1x swordtail
    2x platys
    2x glofish tetras
    3x black kuhlis
    1x bronze cory
    1x albino bristlenose pleco
    2x guppy fry
    1x honey gourami
    and snails!

I know there's a lot of incomplete schools, but I don't like giving them away when the schools die off.

First, my angel! Lucifer is the centerpiece and she's also my favorite. But don't tell anyone I said that.
    IMG_2579.JPG
    Next up is Fiddy, my swordtail. He was in a feeder tank for only 50 cents. (I'm proud of this picture by the way)
    IMG_2581.JPG
    These two platys are children of my original platy. Frisco and Mocha.
    IMG_E2589.JPG .
    Godzilla, my pleco :eek:
    IMG_2595.JPG
    Hunter is my grumpy old man.
    IMG_2598.JPG
    This is Elsa and Caesar, my glo skirts. Elsa is crazy and eats shrimp pellets whole.
    IMG_2580.JPG
    And my honey gourami, Maddie
    IMG_2582.JPG
    The kuhlis were hiding and the guppy fry are impossible to photograph, so I don't have any pictures of them.

As for equipment, I have:
    Aqueon 50 filter
    Aqueon 100w heater
    Stand, light, and lid came with the tank (all for $80!!!) The light is just a crappy kit LED, hence why I can't grow plants.

Decorations:
    BDBS
    Driftwood
    Dragon stone
    Plastic plants

I alternate flakes and shrimp pellets one day, and bloodworms/algae wafers the next. I also fast on water change day.

Weekly I change probably 40-45% of the water because I know I'm overstocked.

Temp is at 78-79. This isn't perfect for some of them, I'm not super particular about temperature requirements. A lot of them are leftovers from previous stockings that I don't want to risk handing over to an inexperienced fishkeeper by giving them to my LFS.

Hopefully I can get some live plants in there soon! I'm sick of the fake ones. :)

2. puffer boi

puffer boi Well Known Member Member

i would rehome most of them otherwise it can lead to problems.
    honey gouramis, there should e at LEAST 2
    bronze cory need 6
    black kuhlis need 6
    glofish tetras need 6
    im not sure what you want to keep and what you will be willing to rehome

3. OP
    OP
    penguin02

I stated above that I will not be rehoming any incomplete schools. This thread is simply to show off my tank and keep track of my plans. :) I am by no means an expert, but I can guarantee that all my fish are happy and healthy and I am doing everything I can to give them great lives.

4. puffer boi

puffer boi Well Known Member Member

okay im not in the mood to start an argument right know.
    goodluck

5. OP
    OP
    penguin02

Okay then... thank you for sharing your opinion though. If it makes you feel any better they used to be full schools.

I earned some extra money this week and I should be able to order the new light very soon! I’m thinking val or anacharis in the back and maybe some Amazon sword from my 10g. I need some foreground plant suggestions if anyone has ideas. Also, has anyone kept Christmas moss in a low tech setup? It would look great tied to my wood :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice