265 Gallon Aquarium

1. G

Gabe Ortiz Initiate Member

what’s up community my name is Gabe I’m new to fishlore I recently completed a 125 gallon build and looking forward to my next project. My question is I’m planning on setting up a 265 freshwater tank on both tanks I have now I run fluval FX6’s so how many should I put on a 265 gallon tank some people say do 3 canister filters two fx6’s and something smaller like a fluval 406 or an FX4, some say two FX6’s are fine. I’m planing on stocking it with Oscars from what I read they can be pretty messy fish and they need optimal water quality do to them being susceptible to “hole in the head” so I want to make sure my filtration can keep up with the waste load . Thanks for any suggestions

2. Dawn Michele

Dawn Michele Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore Gabe!!!

3. Aqua Hands

Aqua Hands Well Known Member Member

If you can afford 3 FX6's go ahead BUT, I would say 2 FX6's would be fine.

4. NavyChief20

NavyChief20 Well Known Member Member

i am guessing this is a custom built 265?

5. OP
    OP
    G

I’m buying a Marineland 265 gallon tank

6. freak78

freak78 Well Known Member Member

If your heart is set on canisters I would run two and put three aquaclear 110s across the back. Otherwise if it's a drilled Tank I would run a sump.

7. OP
    OP
    G

I was thinking about a sump but to be honest I’m still kinda new to the hobby and know nothing about sump systems but I would definitely consider a sump.

8. freak78

freak78 Well Known Member Member

A drilled Tank is more expensive. I have a 220 with an eheim 2262, Fx-5 and three aquaclear 110s. The only reason is I bought the tank used with the canisters. I added the aquaclears.
    FB_IMG_1510925668617.jpg

9. NavyChief20

Well fortunately theres several of us that use sumps exclusively here. A sump will save you alot of money in the short and long run

10. OP
    OP
    G

Well I’ll be sure to pick as many brains as I can . Lol I’m gonna start by building the stand and then buy the tank and that’s when I’ll start piecing things together. I’ll be sure to ask as many questions as I can.

11. NavyChief20

you are aware that empty it will weigh almost 400 lbs right? full you are looking at over 2600lbs.

12. OP
    OP
    G

Yes I have an empty basement with cement flooring so the I know the floor can stand the weight I build the stand for for my 125 gallon so I can double up on everything for extra support.

21C2C8EE-4843-4078-B188-FD6F5C9ECB27.jpeg AEA1D787-2EC0-423F-BAFF-5E29BB33B5FD.jpeg 519DC218-3071-4D29-8ACA-944256DCB1FE.jpeg

13. NavyChief20

square bar steel or 2x6 wood frame?

ahh i see the pics.

No disrespect but that is not gonna cut it for a 265

14. OP
    OP
    G

Would you suggest me buying one instead I would prefer to know I’m safe than save a couple bucks

15. NavyChief20

Nah brother Im an engineer I wouldnt buy something i can build. You obviously have the build skills. What you need is to have the 2x6 boards on the ground on their edge with the vertical 2x6 ontop of that. Then another runner similar to the ground ones. Running between the 2x6's cross wise upper and lower you need 2x6 "floor joists" effectively. Sheath that in 3/4 plywood and you should be able to park a suburban on it. The upper and lower joists are important and the positioning of the vertical struts will take the weight of the tank. The stand is gonna be heavy so you'll need a couple buddies n beer to carry it.

16. OP
    OP
    G

Thanks for the help I like the building aspect of the stand it just makes the end result more satisfying

17. NavyChief20

Exactly!