265 Gallon Aquarium Stocking Question(s)

1. Karlie Initiate Member

Hello all! I am about to buy an extra large aquarium and I have a few questions.

The person I am buying this from says it is a 265 gallon aquarium with the dimensions of 4' x 3' x 2.5'. If my calculations are correct that is roughly 200 gallons. What do you think? Is this really 265 gallons?

Since I am getting the fish as well I did research on them and from what I have noticed it is a very very aggressive tank and none of the fish are supposed to be with one another. Also, this seems a little overstocked to me. Here is his stocking:
    1 Golden Mbuna
    2 Bala Sharks
    1 Rainbow Shark
    2 Clown Loaches
    1 Electric Yellow
    1 Electric Blue
    4 Pleco's
    and some Guppies

I would like to take all the fish back to a LFS except for the Bala Sharks OR Rainbow Shark, one Pleco, and the two loaches. So here is the next question: Rainbow or Bala Shark with the Clown Loaches?
    Side note: I have 4 more baby Clown Loaches I will be adding to this tank from my other tank. I may add one more Clown if him and my Gourami ever decide they want to break up (for details on their odd relationship see my post about Gourami and Clown "cuddling").

Last question: What schooling fish would be okay with the Bala or Rainbow sharks? I would like to have Neon Tetras (a girl can dream right?) in this tank but I keep hearing they are like little chicken nuggets to the Sharks. So something similar in color like the Neons would be ideal.

Another side note: My husband is dead set on keeping the shark (or sharks) and I am dead set on keeping the Clowns --- however if the Sharks terrorize the Clowns they may magically transport themselves back to a LFS without the husbands knowledge... Same with the Pleco.

2. escapay Well Known Member Member

Inputting the information of how big your tank is on the quick calculator at the bottom of the page, your tank is about 224 gallons.

According to http://www.fintastic.us/standard-aquarium-size-chart/ - 265 gallon standard tank is 7' x 2' x 2.5' so sounds like yours is probably a different shape.

Definitely no Neon Tetras or those sizes with the Bala Sharks. Probably no to the Rainbow Sharks being with them too -- as they are semi-aggressive.

3. Karlie Initiate Member

Thank you!
    Would you recommend Bala Sharks with Clown Loaches?

4. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

You can keep balas with clowns. There's no risk.

5. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Clown loaches would be fine but I wouldn't keep bala sharks in less than a 6ft length tank as they need the swimming space.
    For shoalers you could have rosy barbs, they're big enough not to be a snack for larger fish & would look lovely in a large group

6. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

According to the calculator on the bottom of the page, it is 224.42 gallons. You could ask aquarist48 as he has a 265 gal tank, too.

7. Karlie Initiate Member

Thanks for all the advice! We have decided to turn down the tank and search for a 6' long tank instead :) I also read that Clowns prefer that size as well so I might as well get the big one now before they outgrow their 125 gal :p

8. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

My 265g tank dimensions are listed in my Profile. Note, this is a 7' tank and not a 6' tank. Stocking list in my signature below.

Thanks!

Ken