26 Gallon Bowfront Stocking: Input Please

bettasplendid

Hello! I am receiving a 26 gal bowfront from a family member who will be moving. The tank has sand as the substrate and 9 peppered cories but beyond that, it is free real estate. I’m mainly experienced with keeping domestic betta splendens (10 gallons each, heavily planted) so I am not that experienced with stocking & assessing compatibility. Filtration is a sponge filter & an AquaClear 50, but I’m happy to adjust and get stronger filtration if needed. Tank is heated to about 78°F. I haven’t planted the tank yet but I want to.

In an ideal world, I would like to keep the cories and add in 5 sparkling gouramis and a shoal of cherry barbs. Would that be too much & would any of those species not get along? From what I’ve seen, they should be okay but I would rather check first. If that wouldn’t work, I would appreciate stocking suggestions, though I want to keep the 9 cories so it would have to be something that works with them. I have seen some smaller cichlids (I think blue rams and similar species? a lot of these were older threads) come up as recommendations for other people but I don’t think that’s what I’m looking for & I’m leaning away from guppies after a *horrible* experience with camallanus worms but beyond that, I think I’m open to whatever people think would be good! Our water is a little on the hard side (7.5 ish) if you need that information as well.

Thank you and I am looking forward to receiving feedback!

BigManAquatics

Not sure on the numbers for sparkling gouramis, but it sounds pretty good. Filtration should be pretty good as well.

bettasplendid

Okay, great, thank you! I went to 2 of my LFSs today & ran the idea by trusted employees— it sounds like I should maybe go for the cories, 3 sparkling gouramis, and 5-7 cherry barbs, and just make sure to have it more heavily planted. So that will be my current plan unless I get any responses or more information that changes that. I am in the planting and letting it grow out a bit stage right now so I’m not too worried about having it all figured out right now but I do want to have a plan.

BigManAquatics

Okay, great, thank you! I went to 2 of my LFSs today & ran the idea by trusted employees— it sounds like I should maybe go for the cories, 3 sparkling gouramis, and 5-7 cherry barbs, and just make sure to have it more heavily planted. So that will be my current plan unless I get any responses or more information that changes that. I am in the planting and letting it grow out a bit stage right now so I’m not too worried about having it all figured out right now but I do want to have a plan.
A plan ALWAYS helps...especially if you stick to it. Otherwise, chaos can ensue quite easily.

bettasplendid

I rescaped the tank & added in the plants so here is what it is currently looking like. After it all grow in, do you think it should be enough to keep everyone happy? There are many little coves formed by the mopani & I added some slate to create another cave since the gouramis and cherry barbs can be a little shy. (I apologize if this should be a whole new thread!)

9D719820-A59D-41E5-A003-9306EDC3987E.jpeg

WRWAquarium

Tank looks nice and I think the stocking will be perfect for it :)

bettasplendid

Great, thank you!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BottomDweller
Replies
Views
karenrodger
Replies
Views
A201