26 Gallon, Barbs and Rams?

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok, so I had a stocking thread a while back but want to get around all the other conversation cause I've thought of a slightly different idea. I have 2 gold barbs and like their color, so they're staying, along with 3 more of the friends in the next week or two(total 5). I was thinking a pair of bolivian rams would be really cool to go in there(as I decided a pair of Kribs would get to grumpy if they breed). I also, as stated below have a clown pleco in there somewhere(though i see him briefly once a week, not in 3 days or so, I was hoping he'd cut some algae but he hasn't touched a speck of it ). Anyways, I was wondering if that would be alright. I had been considering kuhlis to mix up the sand but I think if i put in the rams that'd be overstocked, so maybe just some MTS for the sand mixing purposes. Anyways, gold barbs and bolivians sound good? How do people who don't have 10 tanks actually get a pair of fish like this btw?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It might be ok so long as the Bolivians have an clear cut territory that they can claim as thier own & defend against the Barbs. You should be aware that Rams & Kribs are basically exactly the same as far as temperament & aggression go. If anything I would say the Kribs are perhaps slightly more peacefull usually.

Getting a pair has nothing to do with number of tanks a person has. You need to go to your LFS & watch the fish closely for a little while. If they are mature enough there might be a couple of pairs in the tank. You will pick the pairs by watching for two fish that are hanging out close to each other. Where one goes, the other goes. If the fish are not mature enough, you will need to buy 5-6 of them & put them all in a tank together. If your lucky out of those 5 fish you will get two that pair up. The rest of the fish are then removed so only the pair remains.

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I had read that the rams were quite docile except with eachother sometimes. I'll keep that in mind while finishing aquascaping. Thanks for the tips for watching for pairs.

Last edited:

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, clown plecos eat wood, not algae.

i keep gold barbs with my GBRs, only in a larger tank, so it might be okay in yours. however mine is an overstocked tank, so perhaps the chances are better than "might" for you.

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I do have 2 hunks of wood in the tank specifically for the clown, I had just heard they eat both. past couple days the algae wafers have disappeared, so at least I know he's eating, looks like I'll be getting snails and elbow grease to deal with the algae.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom