26 gallon aquascaping and fish

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by CodyJ, Dec 1, 2012.

1. CodyJ

CodyJValued MemberMember

Hi yes Im gonna get a 26 gallon bow front for xmas and i need help aquascaping and what fish im gonna put in it and if possible please post a pic of ur tank for inspiration:;shat

2. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

Welcome to FishLore! :;toast

Stocking depends on what kind of fish you like! Personally I'd go with a active community of Tetras and Rasboras with a centerpiece fish like a Gourami or Dwarf Cichlid. I'd have some plants (not a lot) with a lot of branchy wood.

Here's a picture of my tank for inspiration :)

[​IMG]

3. OP
    OP
    CodyJ

CodyJValued MemberMember

Thanks looks nice...what do u think of Angelfish tiger barbs and some albino corydorasabd bleeding heart tetras

4. JDcichlidlover

JDcichlidloverWell Known MemberMember

Tiger barbs get big. And they're nippy. Angels get a little too big for a 26gal too. Corys are fun :) and so are bleeding heart tetras. Definanly go with a centerpeice like rogue said like gourami or dwarf cichlid

5. OP
    OP
    CodyJ

CodyJValued MemberMember

Don't fish grow to the size of the tank because when my guppies had babies they never grew sadly I don't have them anymore PS. It was 2.5 bow front aquarium and the person at petsmart said it was fine with the tiger barbs

6. JDcichlidlover

They were just trying to sell you stuff... no fish grow to the size they are ment to be. If you stuff them in a tank it will stunt their growth, therefore stunting their life expectancy.

Ex: we had a guy bring a full grown foot and a half long oscar cichlid in to be adopted out, he had him in a 30gal tank. Poor fish couldn't turn around. My featherfin is an example. I rescued him from someone who bought him a year ago as a pleco, he's 5 in long. He should be around 7 or 8.

7. OP
    OP
    CodyJ

CodyJValued MemberMember

O ok thanx. Wait angel fish need 29 and I getin 26 does 3g matter

8. JDcichlidlover

Guess not. Its just nicer for the fish to go with big. Sorry I snapped a lil on the last comment. That question just always gets me. Lol. If you're set on an angel then it should be fine :) be sure to check out other options too though. You might like one of the other fishes rogue mentioned

9. Ava

AvaValued MemberMember

Corys are VERY fun and in my opinion rather low maintenance (compared to other fish).

The whole idea is to get the correct size tank to match a specific size of fish (full grown) - not cramp or stunt the fish's growth to fit a tank. True, a fish tends not to outgrow it's tank - but that's only becuse it usually dies from internal organ malfunctions due to stunting or from bad water quality first.

I would research on your own before taking a pet store employee's word on something. Most are there just to "sell."

10. hoboValued MemberMember

I was at PetSmart one time when there was a nice older couple looking at fish, things started out well but it soon turned into a buying frenzy. It’s like they couldn’t stop, picking out fish after fish they got 2 of those three over there couple from that tank more from this tank .The fish girl I could see had a sad look on her face as they just kept getting more and more fish, I now that she just wasn’t allowed to say anything she was feeling bad knowing that the chances of survival for all these fish was slim.

11. Ava

AvaValued MemberMember

My point exactly! Apparently you type faster than I do! Didn't mean to be an echo....

12. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

Since your thread title suggests that you want aquascaping and stocking ideas, the first idea that occurred to me is that with some kinds of fish you will not need to do much aquascaping since the fish will do it for you. :) some fish species really like to remodel their tanks, uproot plants, etc., so if aquascaping is important to you, make sure you do not get a fish species known for interior decorating interests. :)

13. OP
    OP
    CodyJ

CodyJValued MemberMember

Well that's the thing the petsmart I go to... the only cool fish is the Angelfish and I saw the Angelfish eating it almost does a flip

14. RogueAgent94

That doesn't sound like a healthy angelfish.... Angels are really cool but unfortunately get too big for your tank. How about something different like a Flag Cichlid or an Apisto?

15. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

I would suggest, some java fern attached to drift wood (maybe 3 1/2 foot pieces of drift wood) 10 Cardinal tetras, 6 cory cat fish and a dwarf sunset gourami, if you plan on getting any shrimp then throw in some java moss too! Good luck choosing!

16. FoulFishes

FoulFishesValued MemberMember

I know some members will disagree (as some will agree) but I think you could do a single Angelfish, though, you might have to cut down on fish in other areas...
    As far as petsmart goes though, mine has a few different Plecostomus, many types of Dwarf Cichlids, and even some Gouramis in addition to Angelfish. Angelfish are one of my favorites too, although you might wanna check out the others.
    Consider bottom dwellers, mid dwellers, and top dwellers. I find its good to have a mix of each. The tank will look very layered and natural, and can help cut out on agression during feeding and whatnot. For aquascaping that all depends what you like. Theres real plants, fake plants, substrate, driftwood, rocks, decoration, theres alot to choose from!

17. OP
    OP
    CodyJ

CodyJValued MemberMember

If i get sand...when i clean out
    my tank will get sucked out

18. RogueAgent94

Huh?!

19. OP
    OP
    CodyJ

CodyJValued MemberMember

When I suck out water will the sand be sucked outt

20. JDcichlidlover

You don't stick the siphon in the sand. Keep it at least half an in over the sand. That way you get gunk but don't suck up sand.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice