25G: Good stocking list?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Linni93, Mar 21, 2010.

1. L

Linni93 Valued Member Member

okay, so I have 4 platies in my tank right now;D, and I am thinking about other fish I could add.
    I would really like to have 2-3 cory fish, saw some at the LFS (at least I think they were corys), but I didn't check the species though... And I also saw dwarf gouramis at the same place, and they were beautiful.
    It would also be nice with a little school of possibly cardinal tetras, or similar small schooling fish. Are cardinals hard to care for?

So the stocking list I have in my head right now looks something like this:
    4 platies
    2-3 cories
    1 dwarf gourami
    (6 cardinal tetras)

Any comments, advice or suggestions? I don't want to overstock, and I would like to have some fish that are nice to watch and that aren't too hard to care for...

Also; the filter I have now is designed for aquariums up to 90 liters, and mine is 93 L. I'm afraid the filter might be too small as I add more fish.
    As you might understand, I'm new to this hobby and I'm quite stressed and concerned that things will go wrong :(

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

That sounds good. You have stocked all the levels. Corys on the bottom, Gourami basically top water and the platies will swimm all over :)
    They will all swimm in other areas at times but those are basic swimming areas.
    Carol

3. p

philipbouchard-davies Valued Member Member

Well umm first of corries need to be in groups of at least six or they just hide all day and the cardinal tetras are a very touchy fish that cant have any fluctuation at all in water chemistry so since you are a beginner id replace those with neon tetras since they look almost exactly the same and neons are easier to care for.

Note:If you choose to go with neons or the cardinals make sure you only add them when your tank is completely cycled because neither of those fish go through the cycling process well.

Phil :)

4. OP
    OP
    L

thanks a lot;)

5. OP
    OP
    L

okay, but in which order should I add the fish, and how many at a time? And how long should I wait between each time I add fish?

And what about the filter, as I mentioned in the first post???

6. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Filtration is the most important aspect to your aquarium. i would double the filtration, so if the tank is 90L then i would get a filter that can handle a 180Liter tank.

7. peacemaker92

peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Hi Linni and Welcome to Fishlore! :;hi2

About the fish order, you can add your cories first. Since they do better in a school as mentioned above, it'll be okay to add 3 at a time. Then add your Gourami. When everyone's settled, add your neons. Neons would do better than cardinals at your stage of tank since your tank recently finished the cycle. But IMO, I would suggest other tetras such as Rummynose or Glowlights. They're easier than Neons and Cardinals, in my own opinion.

About your filter, it should be alright as long as you don't overstock. If you do, I'd suggest getting another filter designed for maybe a 95L or 100L. IMO... Hope my info helped. If you have any other questions or need any other help, feel free to ask our friendly members here. :) Best of luck! :;hf

8. OP
    OP
    L

sounds good :)
    :;thx to everyone ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice