250 G Deep Dimension Build.

scolwell19
Hello all,
I'm new to the forum but been coming here for years. I've kept a lot of different fish over the years but I fell in love with big beautiful cichlids. I've had multiple cichlid tanks from breeding red devils to a 150 g mixed cichlid tank. I recently purchased a 250 gallon marineland Deep dimension tank(60"L x 36"W x 29"H) and I cannot wait to start this journey, so I thought I'd share it with you all. This is not going to be a fast process as I have to frame out and finish the room in the basement as well as tear out a door frame to fit this sucker into the basement Haha. But I will keep you posted with all the progress I make. I plan to have diy led flood lights and I would like to build a custom fluidized bed sump. Any input along the way would be great. I will post a few pics of the tank. It is still at the sellers house will be picking up monday!!! Wish me luck.

20180412_144202.jpg
20180412_144213.jpg
20180412_144208.jpg

Smalltownfishfriend
That's an awesome tank!! I wish you the best of luck!!!

Hunter1
Jealous .

scolwell19
Just a quick update I picked up the tank yesterday and got it itp the storage shed. Took me and 2 other guys to do it comfortably. Thing is heavy. Anyway went to the home depot today and prices out everything to finish the basement area out. Going to start on it in the next 2 weeks depending on schedule.

scolwell19
Oh. And does anyone know if it's best if I leave the concrete unfinished under the tank or can I tile/carpet the whole room and set the tank on it just fine as well?

scolwell19
Well I got the basement framed out still running wires and have to get a new electrical panel. Current one is so old its always tripping breakers. I think I'm going to mount a faucet on the wall next to tank for easy water changes.

scolwell19
This is where the tank is going.
20180502_170711.jpg

scolwell19
I love the faucet next to the tank idea.

Seems you are making great progress.
I think it's going to go into the closet where the furnace and water heater are. Will look better that way and still be close. Have to work all weekend so will update again next week. I have to move the tank in befor I finish framing the doorway downstairs, it's too big to fit though the 36 inch door.

scolwell19
Got the self leveling underlayment down today. Now just waiting for flooring to come in. Should be here on the 18th hopefully. Will be finishing drywall and all befor then.
20180508_141331.jpg
20180508_141615.jpg

scolwell19
Looking for stocking idea for the 250 gallon. Originally thinking of having a mixed vieja tank. Now I'm just not sure. Would love to hear any ideas. Also getting a 150 tall for the wife she wants Fontosa, was wondering what else might could go in there with them.

scolwell19
Oh and drywall is almost up!
20180512_182156.jpg

scolwell19
Been about a week and its moving forward. I finished drywall and painted. Put the flooring down last night and this morning. My knees and back hate me now. I'll have the tank moved down there by tonight I hope maybe tomorrow at the latest. Still need to put trim up though.
20180520_182608.jpg
20180521_181400.jpg
20180522_124109.jpg

scolwell19
Its finally in!!!
20180522_175751.jpg

scolwell19
Both tanks downstairs
20180522_184200.jpg

Hunter1
Very kool.

scolwell19
Test fill!!!
20180530_093233.jpg

penguin02
I hope you realize how jealous we all are.

Dave125g
Now this is a tank that can house monster fish, if one wanted too.

scolwell19
Woohoo. Threw some driftwood in to see if it would fit lol
20180530_162115.jpg

scolwell19
Ok so after test filling the aquarium I drained it and turned my focus to the plumbing and sump. I ordered everything that I needed and should have everything tonight. However my wife dropped my sump and put a small crack in the corner : /. I went to a plastic store here and got some weld-on 40. Seemed to work ok although my work is far from looking nice.(First time working with acrylic) I will have to wait about 2 days to refill and test if it was a failure. I should have the plumbing done tomorrow so I'll be sure to post pics after everything is set and running.

Wraithen
I'm sorry I missed this thread for so long! Be sure your self leveling compound can support the weight.

The faucet was a great idea! How is your water? You seem at least general construction diy so if it's not what you want, I suggest an in line filter of whatever you need between the main line and the faucet, or an ro system after the faucet for top offs. Depending on your humidity in the basement, youd only need a cheaper home grade unit to keep up. In colorado, I think I lose a gallon or two a day. My unit does .8 gph so it can easily do double duty.

For stocking with a frontosa, I've seen all kinds of things work out, but it depends on individual behavior. What are you planning for bottom stocking?

scolwell19
I'm sorry I missed this thread for so long! Be sure your self leveling compound can support the weight.

The faucet was a great idea! How is your water? You seem at least general construction diy so if it's not what you want, I suggest an in line filter of whatever you need between the main line and the faucet, or an ro system after the faucet for top offs. Depending on your humidity in the basement, youd only need a cheaper home grade unit to keep up. In colorado, I think I lose a gallon or two a day. My unit does .8 gph so it can easily do double duty.

For stocking with a frontosa, I've seen all kinds of things work out, but it depends on individual behavior. What are you planning for bottom stocking?
I live in denver and my water from the tap is fairly good. At least I cannot find anything wrong with it. The leveling compound says it can be used in garages and such so I'm hoping it will be fine. I figure if a truck can park on it the tank should be fine. I am considering running a drip system to both my 250 and 150 for auto water changes. Still need to do a bunch of research for it though as I'm unsure of how to do it all yet. For now it works great to have the faucet so close to the tank, comes on handy not having to use the bathroom st all the wife always gave me s*#t for making a mess lol. For stocking I am thinking about having around 5 to 10 south American cichlid. Probably all vieja species.

Wraithen
I live in denver and my water from the tap is fairly good. At least I cannot find anything wrong with it. The leveling compound says it can be used in garages and such so I'm hoping it will be fine. I figure if a truck can park on it the tank should be fine. I am considering running a drip system to both my 250 and 150 for auto water changes. Still need to do a bunch of research for it though as I'm unsure of how to do it all yet. For now it works great to have the faucet so close to the tank, comes on handy not having to use the bathroom st all the wife always gave me s*#t for making a mess lol. For stocking I am thinking about having around 5 to 10 south American cichlid. Probably all vieja species.
I'm down in fountain. I know our water has plenty of bad things in it. They got a new filtration system donated by the air force so hopefully that makes our water safer. It's a GAC system so I'm not convinced it will filter out all the problem pfoa and pfc's.

scolwell19
Plumbing is done will test tomorrow!! Long night of praying nothing leaks.

scolwell19
Ok I filled and turned everything on. Had a small drip though a bulkhead that wasn't quite tight but after that no issues so far. These durso standpipes are insanely loud at the moment. One is louder than the other not to sure why. I used the standpipes that I received with tank. But did all new plumbing under the stand. Quite excited even with it being noisy Haha. Any tips for quieting down a durso standpipe?
20180618_093354.jpg
20180618_093333.jpg
20180618_093323.jpg

HeyJoe
This is getting good.

scolwell19
Got the noise level down dramatically. Sounded like a **** waterfall for a bit there drilled some holes in top on durso and put an airline with a valve to adjust airflow. Was a bit worried I would have to settle for less turnover rate but seems to be good now. Picked up some pool filter sand today will try to get it in tomorrow. Still need to order lights and a top for the tank as I don't think I want to use the canopy. Anyone here have any experience ordering cichlids from tangledupincichlids or cichlidsoftheamericas?

scolwell19
Ok well I seeded the tank with ceramic rings from my 150 and dosed stability for about 6 days and everything is running great. Currently 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 5 nitrate. Added 4 Electric Blue Jack's and 2 vieja Argentea. Along with 10 Buenos Aires tetras for dither fish. Going to pick up a couple silver arowanas maybe black (if I can afford it. ) Have a single 36" current usa satellite plus pro for lighting. Seems to do well. ISTA 1000w heater. Running around 4000 gph rated return pump with about 8 feet of head. Had to slow down rate a bit still with ball valves. Ran fine was just to noisy. I think I will wait for these guys to get around the 4 5 inch range and I might try to throw a motoro ray in there and see how he does. Will be a small one about 5 6 inch.
Screenshot_20180621-085153_Gallery.jpg
20180620_103536.jpg
20180623_183551.jpg
20180624_191057.jpg
20180624_191048.jpg

AJ6817
That tank is insanely nice, are you going to add any plants or anything to make it a little more lively/colorful. At a glance it looks like a tank full of sticks haha.

scolwell19
That tank is insanely nice, are you going to add any plants or anything to make it a little more lively/colorful. At a glance it looks like a tank full of sticks haha.
Yes I will pick up a couple hardy plants like swords and jungle vall. Maybe some wisteria or java ferns along with moss on the logs/sticks haha

NavyChief20
Ok I filled and turned everything on. Had a small drip though a bulkhead that wasn't quite tight but after that no issues so far. These durso standpipes are insanely loud at the moment. One is louder than the other not to sure why. I used the standpipes that I received with tank. But did all new plumbing under the stand. Quite excited even with it being noisy Haha. Any tips for quieting down a durso standpipe?View attachment 448120View attachment 448121View attachment 448122
A true durso has a air regulation valve on top. I use airline valves and they are silent. Looks like you figured it out though.

scolwell19
A true durso has a air regulation valve on top. I use airline valves and they are silent. Looks like you figured it out though.
Yes I did that in the end. Thanks much

scolwell19
Ok so as for stocking I decided to go with south and central american cichlids.
1 lemon oscar
2 vieja argentea
6 electric blue jack Dempsey
2 silver arowana
1 gold clown knife
1 fire eel
10 Buenos aires tetras

Everything is around 1 2 inch range except the arowana, fire eel and clown knife are around 5. I'll try to get decent pics soon.

scolwell19
Few pics sorry it took so long been working a lot to pay for all this.
20180717_124512.jpg
20180716_230845.jpg
20180715_214343_001.jpg
20180715_214331_008.jpg

penguin02
Amazing!

scolwell19
ganjero
Really cool project, can wait to see the tank mature.

scolwell19
Little update. Arowana is getting big fast. I think he ate one of my blues. Cant find it anywhere. The oscar is growing fast. I too out the argentea for now they are in a 75 g together they were beating everything up. May have to not add them back we shall see. I think it looks nice but still need rocks and more plants an such.
20180807_211328.jpg
1533755643057.jpg

penguin02
Looks good!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies
Views
Gabbie
Replies