25 or 100 Watt for a 10 Gallon?

KonaBoy
Just like the title says, which one would work best? I've found both of them on sale, and it says the 25 Watt is rated for 8 Gallons, and the 100 Watt is for 30 Gallons. Would either work fine? Thanks,

Cory

angelfish220
are you sure both fit on the top of the 10, the 8 and 30 might mean they are fitted for that top. if they both fit...

really it depends on what plants you want, if you have a CO2 setup, types of fish affected ect...

I would say for a cheap setup the 25, you could have plenty of plants and you don't need an expensive soil, CO2 ect...

mlinden84
Just like the title says, which one would work best? I've found both of them on sale, and it says the 25 Watt is rated for 8 Gallons, and the 100 Watt is for 30 Gallons. Would either work fine? Thanks,

Cory

Can you find a 50w? That's what I have in my 10 gallon. I think that the 25w wouldn't keep it warm enough, but there is a chance that the 100w would be overkill...

angelfish220
sorry, I thought that you were refering to lighting fixtures !!! my bad

If the 100 watt has temp control then it might work, but I have a 50 in mine.

COBettaCouple
If I couldn't get a 50w, then i'd go with the 100w if it's got temp. settings so you can dial it down lower and get the heat you want.

KonaBoy
Well, they're both Stealth's, so I know they'll be good heaters. So you suggest going for the 100?

COBettaCouple
I would, because it will be easier to get it to the temp you want during the winter than with a 25w. I'm not sure how much lower you'll have to set it compared to the temp you want, but probably 5-6 degrees lower if not more.. but that will be a trial & error thing to figure out.

Barbrella
25 watts isn't enough for a 10 gallon, especially if you live in a cold climate.

I have 50 watts in my 10, and that works fine.

100 watts is overkill, so keep a close eye on it!

Lucy
I have the 50w stealth in my 10g. It works fine.
However, if you think you'll ever switch to a larger tank, get the 100w.
25w wouldn't be enough for the 10g

KonaBoy
I think I'll go with the 100

nugzboltz
I've had a 100W Stealth in my 14 gal tank for 3 weeks and haven't had any issues with it. I set it for 77 degrees and my thermometer's been reading that since I've put in the heater. A bigger heater should just work less hard in a smaller tank, and if you upgrade to a bigger tank, you can just switch it over.

Steen16
I have a 100w in my 25g and 10 gallon and 5g... they are good coz the temp never fluctuates! you can never have to much watts of power just as long as it fits in your tank and you don't mind the extra power use.

do they sell fixed temperature heaters in us?
Ones in nz are all temp changable

Martinismommy
I have 100 watt in my 10 gallon fry tank and all is good....In a fry tank there is NO room for error and it seems to be holding at a steady 80 degrees....I'd go with the 100 watt if it were me....

Lucy
This is an old thread. I'm sure Kona Boy has gotten a heater by now.

Steen16
I know I was just shearing my opinion just in case some1 else has the same question and finds this thread.

Top Bottom