.25 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 10 Nitrates in Cycled Tank?

applejax

So I noticed that a couple of my fish were looking a little stressed (or I'm just paranoid, either is equally likely) so I did a water test tonight. The test showed .25, 0, 10. I checked the ammonia again and the color was exactly the same. So I did a good water change, gave it a healthy dose of Prime and Stability, waited a few minutes for the water to filter and swirl in the tank, then tested again. Looks < .25 if not 0.

In the pics, the two held together on the left are the two initial reading, and the one singled out is the test after the water change. What might cause .25,0,10 in a cycled tank or am I on crack?

Flyfisha

Hi applejax
I have a strong opinion about this that others may not agree with?

From personally experience taking the test outside into sunlight and standing with the sun behind you gives a different colour than inside under artificial lighting. A couple of pictures of how my water is always. One is inside with house lights ( black background) the other is in sunlight by a window.
You must be registered to see images
You must be registered to see images
You are right to be concerned with the colour green you have.?
It is not possible for me to ever have the plain yellow colour in my test tube that is on the chart.

Keep a close eye on your fish.
Don’t clean any hard surfaces or your filter.
Test tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

edit
If your fish are “looking stressed “ did you test the PH?

Upvote 0

Redshark1

All my tanks have always had a green tinge to the yellow but I would say they are certainly lower than 0.25ppm.

I have had the pure yellow zero reading on the same API liquid test when I tested my water butt outside.

Upvote 0

Mhamilton0911

Have you tested your source water?

Upvote 0

jtjgg

overfeeding could cause an spike. or something died. changing or rinsing the filter media in untreated tap water.

Upvote 0

applejax

and today it's fine reading 0, 0, 10ish. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Upvote 0

alven

and today it's fine reading 0, 0, 10ish. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Maybe you read your thing wrong the 1st time.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
CichlidJynx
Replies
Views
djetta
  • Question
Replies
Views