240g Acrylic Tank Build Log

1. LeoDiaz

LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

Finally getting to fixing up the tank that has been sitting in the garage for the pass year. It's 240g 8ft acrylic tank. 4caa441a99e175d1128c7385a0cf7626.jpg
    Will be painting it soon dark blue, couldn't match the overflow side wall so I went with the closes I could find. Will be building the stand and 55g DIY sump in the near future.

2. fissh

fissh Well Known Member Member

Make sure the paint is meant to use on acrylic. One way to match the color of the overflow is to get a thin piece of acrylic cut to size in the right color and tape it on the back of the tank. I did that on this tank. DSCN4469.JPG

3. OP
    OP
    LeoDiaz

Already bought the paint don't mind if doesn't match it's only one wall. Will be painting it today so it can dry while I build the stand

4. fissh

sounds like fun :;bananawater

5. sweendog87

sweendog87 Valued Member Member

Awsome mate can't wait to c how it turn out I'm in the similar process atm building stand over the next few days and also cycling a filter for it and cleaning the big tank can't wait to get some fish in there iv got a 180 gal tank build thread goin if you wanted to have a gander 180gal Tank Build

6. sweendog87

sweendog87 Valued Member Member

What stock are you planning in having and what's the sumo gonna be set up with couldn't fit a 75gal sump under there

7. OP
    OP
    LeoDiaz

I'm doing a 55g fluidized sump filter, should be more than enough for the tank. Stocking with my mbunas and plecos

8. DylanM

DylanM Well Known Member Member

That sounds awesome. Personally if I were to get a tank that big I'd probably go with an arowana, the way I see it since you can't keep a fish like that in a smaller tank it would be my only chance to keep one. Maybe its just because I'm sad about Buddy though.

9. OP
    OP
    LeoDiaz

For an arowana even a tank that big is small for them. I'm doing mbunas because that's the fish I already have so I'm just transferring them over so they have more room is 8ft long so they will have fun going back and forth

10. DylanM

DylanM Well Known Member Member

I see, a giant cichlid tank sounds interesting too.Wouldn't a silver arowana be okay in a 240?

11. OP
    OP
    LeoDiaz

No too big for a 240g it's only 2ft deep we are talking about a fish that grows 30+ inches

12. fissh

A 240 mbuna tank will look awesome!!!

13. OP
    OP
    LeoDiaz

I finished painting a while ago but never got to doing anything else. Finishing up the sump and tomorrow I’ll start on the stand.

14. k

khangdinh Valued Member Member

Keep up the good work!! I was offered an acrylic tank that has 3 drilled hole at the bottom and the owner said those 3 holes are blocked. I've never had acrylic tank before so I have no clues if that's possible? Do you think it will leak? He had it for 9 years by the way.

15. OP
    OP
    LeoDiaz

The one I have had some holes too I paid a local aquarium shop to cover them. They used small acrylic squares and cemented them in place. They water tested it for me and it held water with no leaks.

16. k

Is this safe?

Attached Files:

17. fissh

It's safe, for the best results I like half inch acrylic glued on the inside of the tank. When I got my 360 I had to block 12 holes that ranged in size from 3/4" to 2". I also bought a tank used that I sold 35 years before and had custom tapped squares that I installed, that were still in perfect shape!

DSCN4454.JPG

18. OP
    OP
    LeoDiaz

What are the dimensions on your 360?

19. k

Thank you!;

20. fissh

96 x 24 x 36