240 Gallon Stocking Ideas Question

1. yoboyjuice Member Member

My father and I are setting up a 240 gallon heavily planted tank. It has an 80 gallon sump. Eventually we'll have co2. Its acrylic. Anyway we're trying to decide what type of fish to get. We dont want a single fish like arawona or pleco or flowerhorn. We want several fish, most likely a community tank. My dad is leaning towards a show fish, like Discus or Altum Angels, with smaller Apistogramma or rams. I was thinking assorted american/South American fish would be cool. We've had discus and regular angels before but never Altums. My dad is kinda afraid to get other cichlids because he thinks they're very aggressive and get to big and eat plants which I understand. I Agree but If we decide not to have a Show fish- like discus or Angels- is there any smaller American cichlids we could put with rams or Apistogramma? maybe keyhole cichlids? If we did all cichlids between 3-6 inches what are the possible types? Any recomendations on a show fish, or any fish? We dont really like gouromi's and as stated we want to be able to have several fish. We're not super into barbs or loaches either. Tetras and chiclids are what we mostly like. It will be planted so we kinda figured no African cichlids. The sump also has a large section we were gonna fill up with plants as a sort of refugium. We though of putting shrimp or small fish in there. The sump is 80ish gallons but the potential fish section is maybe 40.
    Any ideas for the main or sump are appreciated. Any random tips or ideas are cool too.
    A few random things, We're in California and the LFS don't have much besides cichlids and tetras but they have TONS of those including angels and discus. We can order fish. Any ideas for websites?
    Also any ideas or where to buy dragon stone and drift wood in bulk?
    Thanks,
    Austin and Dan.

2. Initiate Member Member

A bunch of discus and a huge shoal of Neon tetras would look good.

12x Discus
    75x Neons

And then maybe some german blue rams and some bristlenose plecos.
    I know that stocking is kinda light but I dont really deal with 240 gallon tanks

3. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Neons need cooler temps than discus, rummynose or cardinal tetras would work instead.
    I'd recommend stuff for the bottom if you went that route as well, like a green phantom pleco and a large school of adolfoi or sterbai cories.

4. yoboyjuice Member Member

Ya from my experience cardinals work better with discus, and rn we have angels with rummynose. We kinda wanted to move away from tetras. Rn we are thinking Altum Angels. Anyone have experience with them or know where to buy them? we want to get some rams or apistogramma or maybe corries on the bottom. Ideally we want to try new fish. Thats why we kinda want to find some cool fish for the bottom bc we've done tons of tetras and corries. Any ideas for smallish semi aggresive/peaceful south American fish that can go on the bottom? also all the LFS have apistogrammas labeled as 12$ or more. is this how it is for you? they seem a little higher than we expected. Any ideas on where to get cheap(er) driftwood or dragonstone? maybe online?
    Thanks,
    Austin

5. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Not sure where to buy those.
    An alternative to tetras would be boesemani rainbowfish, a large school of those with altum angels would look amazing.

6. yoboyjuice Member Member

I set up a new thread for this tank that shows the whole process including setting up the tank and sump. It's still in process and I am still not set on stocking. heres the title
    240 Gallon Planted Freshwater Tank Build
    idk if the link works its under tank builds.
    Thank you everyone for the ideas and suggestions. I'm gonna start posting just in the other thread.
    Special thanks to @Anders247 you've helped a lot on both tanks.
    Thanks all,
    Austin.

7. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

No problem!