23l fluval tank first aquarium.

1. ashleighh28 Well Known Member Member

Over the last few days all my fish had died, I'm looking to restart my tank, can any one give me advise any cleaning solutions, as I'm unsure on why my platys died I don't want to rush into buying new fish without doing a full clean off my tank. Will this mess with the cycle? If so what do you advice. Also any cleaning solution would be great!

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

That's a very small tank to put platies in. What was your complete stocking list? Do you have a test kit and if so, what were your parameters? All that you tested may be helpful including ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, temperature, etc.

Welcome to the forum:)

3. ashleighh28 Well Known Member Member

My nitrates were out the roof after I feed them frozen blood worms. What would you recommend??

I had six platy, in an unheated tank was advised by pets at home they were a better the a moor. As my tank size. Little did I know they're not ment to be in a cold water tank!

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

How long after feeding the bloodworms did you get the nitrate spike and what were your other parameters?

A Black Moore would definitely not have been suitable for your tank!

5. ashleighh28 Well Known Member Member

My fish all died within two days off feeding them half a cude. Than tested my waters after the two new fish were added had died. And the nitrates where 20 I think???

What would be more sutible for the tank? As I've now ordered a heater and aquarium salt.

6. Grimund Well Known Member Member

20 nitrates are laughable for a through the roof number in freshwater. I've seen it so high that there isn't a color on the chart for it. Not poking fun, by the way.

How long was the tank running?

Did you use a water conditioner for the tank water? Something seems awfully fishy with nitrates so low.

Were you able to check your ammonia and nitrite level?

What is your pH of the source water (the water you put in the tank)?

Without fish in the tank, or a separate ammonia source, you will lose your cycle.

7. ashleighh28 Well Known Member Member

I've now emptied my tank. How do I disinfect if? Before I start it up agian new! X

My tank was running for a week before adding fish, instructed by pets at home store. Z

And I used a water conditioner.

8. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

OK, it sounds like your tank was not cycled.

9. Grimund Well Known Member Member

Yup, it may have had high ammonia/nitrite and just starting to process into nitrates.

Your tank also comes out to be a 5.5 gallon, which is fine for shrimp/snails or a betta. Sadly, it's the small volume that accumulates toxins in higher concentrations faster

10. ashleighh28 Well Known Member Member

So as I'm restarting my tank now how long should I leave to add fish back into my aquarium?

Also looked like my fishes fins where deteriorating into slime. They had a coat of slime all over them.
    Thinking of adding a betta now, could someone recommend a good online shop for buying fishes.

11. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Are you going to do a fishless or fish-in cycle?

The slime could have been some sort of fungal disease that took hold because the fish were stressed and their immune systems were compromised. It could also have been their own slime coat, which fish naturally produce, being produced in excess to try to protect against the toxic water.

12. ashleighh28 Well Known Member Member

What's easiest I don't know much about cycling I'm a beginner, and think I've bite off more then I can chew but I'm willing to learn as much as possible, it's horrible staring at an empty tank! I've got a test kit and ph test kit. My tap water is 7.5

13. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

What kind of test kit do you have?

If you're willing to put in the work it is possible to do a successful fish-in cycle. Are you getting a Betta?

A fishless you will have to test every day and add ammonia until it cycles.

Can you get Tetra Safe Start or Seachem Stability?

14. ashleighh28 Well Known Member Member

I have a tetra strip test, but I don't understand it much. I've downloaded the app for it though.
    Yeah I would like to put in the work and do fish in cycle. What's the best way to do this safely?And I can get the tetra safe start.
    I've had loads of recommendations to get a betta in my 5g so I'm just trying to find a place local to me that stocks them or a good online shops.
    I've also just restarted my tank with no conditioner ATM would this affect anything by adding it at a later day? How long should I wait to add fish back in, and what else is suitable to stock in this tank.
    I've also purchased aquarium salt to help the nitrates. Am I doing the right things???

15. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Take the aquarium salt back, you don't need it. That's what conditioner is for is you've got a good one. Salt, while it will protect the fish in the event of a nitrite spike, also has some very negative side effects. Freshwater fish need just that, freshwater. In spite of the claims made on the packaging it isn't the miracle cure-all it's made out to be.

Not adding conditioner while you don't have fish shouldn't be a problem.

I do recommend a liquid test kit, the API Master Test Kit is used by many members, but if you have the test strips they will do for now while you learn the ropes. I do recommend you get an ammonia test though because you will need that for the beginning of the cycle.

Short version of the nitrogen cycle is this: Fish excretes wastes (ammonia) that bacteria eat and turn into nitrites. More bacteria eat the nitrites and turn them into nitrAtes which will build up over time until you remove them during your water changes. The bacteria live on surfaces and are aerobic, which means they need nice, oxygen-rich places to settle down and filter media is the perfect place for that with all that water flowing through it carrying dissolved oxygen and fish wastes. It's like breakfast in bed to them;)

16. ashleighh28 Well Known Member Member

Ah you explained it in a way I actually understand now thanks so much for the Advise I will order the api test kit soon and a separate ammonia test for the mean while. How oftern should I be testing my tank and when's the right time to add fish. And do you recommend me buy a nitrates minus? Or is that all covered by the conditioner?

17. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I presume the nitrates minus is a nitrate remover? Unless you have nitrates in your tap water I wouldn't worry about it. Regular water changes will do that job for you;)

You can add fish right away if you're doing a fish-in cycle though that can be stressful on the fish. As you say you don't want to look at an empty tank though and since you're planning on having a betta you can do it fairly easily. Get a good water conditioner like Prime and dose daily while you're cycling. Your fish will be the source of ammonia that will feed your bacteria. If you choose to seed your tank with bacteria to start off then get Tetra Safe Start or Seachem Stability. They're very different products though. With the Tetra product you can't dose water conditioner within 24 hours of adding the product while Stability is ok to use with Prime. Also, with the Tetra product you add the fish and the Safe Start and then don't touch the tank for 2 weeks. With Stability you can do water changes and add water conditioner while the bacteria establish themselves.

18. ashleighh28 Well Known Member Member

By regular once a week? Or more oftern then that.. Should I be changing the water on a routine basis from today or after I've added fish.
    Any other suggestions other then betta?

And also I'm waiting for my heater to arrive. So would this water be alright for a couple of days with no fish in?

19. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Once your tank is cycled, once a week is usually fine. During cycling you may find you need to do water changes as much as once a day to keep the ammonia from building up so high that it harms your fish or the growing bacteria. With the fish you can let it get to about 1ppm and the Prime will protect your fish. Without the fish you can let it get a bit higher but you probably don't want to just for the sake of your bacteria. You'll find you're testing daily during the cycling process, at least the ammonia anyway.

I think a dwarf pea puffer might be ok in that size tank and there are some nano species that might be ok in there as well. There are some species of small killifish that will fit, maybe endlers? You could also do a shrimp tank, they're pretty cool!
    Ander247 is good at this sort of thing;)

20. ashleighh28 Well Known Member Member

Thanks!! By prime you mean?