23g Bowfront Build

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Notivation, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Notivation

Notivation Valued Member Member

Hey all! I was given a 23 gallon bowfront for my birthday. It will be my first community tank, I have only kept two three gallon nanos. Very excited!
    23g bowfront.JPG
    I finished scrubbing the dried algae off and am currently testing for leaks (at my father's request). Here's what I am planning for hardware:
    Aquaclear 70 Power Filter
    EHEIM Jager 125 W
    Finnex FugeRay Planted+ 24"
    Seachem Flourite Black

My plan is to make it the thick, jungly look. I'm not sure on all the plants yet, but I am certain on jungle val and pennywort. Plant suggestions would be appreciated. Here's my fish stocking idea:
    3 Platies (probably 3 males, maybe 2 females one male if I want some income)
    6 Cherry Barbs
    Either 2 female and one male guppies, or 4-8 male guppies.
    Neocaridina

I know stocking is a little light at this point, but I'd rather error on too few fish than too many for now. I was thinking cories, but I don't know if I want them competing with the neos.

Let me know what you think! Advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  2. h

hockeyguy6543 Valued Member Member

My only critique is the 4-8 male guppies. They tend to fight amongst themselves and torn fins are always a given. I love cories personally, so I would get around 6 panda cories or a similar species. Really like the plant choices as well.
    Good luck!

3. OP
    OP
    Notivation

Hello! Thank you, I did not know that! I may just do the combo of males and females then. Good money maker! My only thing about the cories is having so many of them. I'm afraid to overload!

4. h

If you get one of the smaller varieties like a panda or peppered Cory, you can easily have 6-8 without any problem.

5. OP
    OP
    Notivation

Would you suggest I have those in place of the guppies? Or would having both be okay?

6. OP
    OP
    Notivation

Thread Update: Last night I began setting up the tank. Seachem Flourite Black substrate, purple cobomba, and a broad leaf anubias. Wood pieces are currently in the tank getting water logged. I am so excited for you all to see it. Aquaclear 70 is set up and running. Eheim Jager coming in early next week.
    MilkyWater.JPG

7. h

Looking good! I would consult aqadvisor.com for the stocking.

8. OP
    OP
    Notivation

I tried using that website but I honestly don't know how to tell if it's overstocked or not. I put the info and fishes I want in.

9. OP
    OP
    Notivation

Well, the water has cleared up significantly and I've begun to plant most of my plants. Due to all of the fast-growing stemmed plants I have in here and will be adding within the next three days, I will begin a silent cycle. I have plenty of prime on hand to deal with the situation if it gets out of control. Getting water floss this afternoon to remove the last of the dust. First picture is my favorite piece of drift wood with baby anubias and java fern.

23g2.JPG

23g1.JPG

10. h

Nice!

11. OP
    OP
    Notivation

I've added three small platys to begin my silent cycle!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice