23 Bowfront Stocking

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Notivation, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Notivation

Notivation Valued Member Member

Hi all! For my 16th birthday, I got a 23 gallon bowfront that will be my first community tank! Please go easy on me, I'm still trying to figure things out :) I've only had nano tanks so far. I'm here looking for critiquing and suggestions. I want this to be thickly planted.
    • Top level: Platies (2-6)
    • Mid level: Cherry barbs (6)
    • Low level: Cory Cats (3)
    • Centerpiece: Betta (1)
    What do you guys think?

2. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

Bump the cories up to 6 and make sure to get a 1:2 male to female ratio of platies. I wouldn't do a betta with barbs, how about some sort of gourami? Pearl and honey gouramis are stunning, but I don't know if they're temp compatible with your stock.

3. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

You need to go at least 6 for the corydoras with them being a schooling species. I would also hold out on the betta since the other fish do have a possiblity of picking on him.

4. OP
    OP
    Notivation

Gouramis are my favorite. Thinking of holding steady temp at 75*F, would this be too warm for them? Was thinking maybe dwarf blue. Is that overstocking?

Is there some other sort of suckerfish that doesn't get huge and doesn't require large schools?

5. D

you want to be careful with how many dwarf gouramis you put in a tank. They are aggressive. Go with honeys which are a much more peacful species. also raise your temp to 78, 75 is too cold for your species. And, i don't know what you mean by "sucker fish" lol. Sucker fish is a joke that if you've worked in a lfs, you hear it daily and hate. So...What type of catfish are you looking for. Corydoras are your easiest species to take care of in my opinion. their isn't much else to go with.

6. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

With regular maintenance, it should be okay. If you're worried, add less platies.

I agree that cories are your best option. They are super easy to take care of. There are otos, which actually suck on walls, but they require a school as well.

7. OP
    OP
    Notivation

Sorry, rookie mistake! I am still debating if I want the gourami. Do I absolutely need 6 cories?

Good advice about the platies, thanks

8. D

6 corydoras is what most people recommend

9. OP
    OP
    Notivation

So I'm hearing. I'm a bit nervous for this as I don't want to overload the filter.

10. D

you'll be fine with 6. corydoras have a low bioload and they won't be in the way of the other fish

11. OP
    OP
    Notivation

Good to know, thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice